Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Jeep an american Vehicle?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamgan

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Is Jeep an american Vehicle? Reply with quote

Like ford claims, is Jeep an american made car?

just read from the link Code3TJ just gave me

Today with the Mercedes Benz and Chrysler merge the Jeep trademark belongs to Daimler Chrysler.

Daimler Chrysler manufactures Jeeps in the USA, Austria, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Venezuela, Argentina and Egypt.

So do they say make different parts in the different locations? Or is it a full assembly line plus parts for each region? Example , jeeps sold in the USA are made entirely in the US by US workers?

Was wondering, since I hear the jeep refered to as an All American car.
BlueJ

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Jeep an american Vehicle? Reply with quote

Gamgan wrote:
Was wondering, since I hear the jeep refered to as an All American car.

"Car" is what will get Jeepers all riled up. It's a Jeep, not a car!

I think you just need to use your judgement about what makes an American vehicle. Is it the nationality of the trademark's owner? Where it is designed? Where most of the parts are manufactured? Where it is assembled? There are any number of definitions.

Most Jeeps for the US market are made in the US. I know that some Jeeps were assembled in Canada, not sure if they still are. But there are other overseas Jeep manufacturing plants that make vehicles for their local markets.

Personally, I would consider Jeeps to be "All American" because they evolved here, regardless of where they are now manfuactured or sold.
Of course, that's just my opinion.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Realy quit calling it a CAR!.....newb rofl J/K

Most of the Jeep parts are made in the US still, at least the TJ is, and I beleive the rest are the same. The main components ie: frame, engine, all sheetmetal as in body and tub are manufactured in the US. Many of the bolt on parts are made at DC plants in Mexico. The TJ's are still to this day assembled in Toledo Ohio....this of course has been rumored to change in the near future.

I keep hearing that the future of Jeep may be going to Mexico for assembly. Chrysler of old is Chrysler no more. Daimler calls all the shots and they could care less about American workers and the all mighty dollar is thier rule and guide. We can all thank our government for allowing NAFTA to destroy the American workforce by letting our products get made in 3rd world areas where high pay and health benifits dont excist.

Sorry for the Rant, but calling the Wrangler a CAR realy ruffles my feathers.... rofl

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about globalization. Yes, TJ's are made in OH as Todd said. The new Grand Cherokees are made in Austria. Not sure where the KJ's are built. But, the current all-American police car, the Ford Crown Vic is built in Canada and Mexico, certain Toyotas and Hondas are built in the US.... Wink
BTW, moving this to general BS since it's not TJ specific.
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
It's all about globalization.

You would think globalization would help keep the costs down. How much did a new Jeep cost in 1980?
Gamgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok from now on I shall officialy also be offended by any one calling my jeep a car!!

( looks around) er so now can I be officialy a Jeeper now? I swear never to drive a hyundai again! Honest!

well , from what little I know about jeeps, always thought of them as all American ca... er Jeep, all american Jeep

well all I know is , I love my jeep, even though its torn off all of my belt loops, cost more in gas then I have ever paid for any girlfriend , I feel every stone in the road, and every pothole feels like a crater, my girlfriends 2 small kids have to use a ladder to climb in, but still, its the most fun vehicle I have ever owned.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamgan wrote:

well all I know is , I love my jeep, even though its torn off all of my belt loops, cost more in gas then I have ever paid for any girlfriend , I feel every stone in the road, and every pothole feels like a crater, my girlfriends 2 small kids have to use a ladder to climb in, but still, its the most fun vehicle I have ever owned.

rofl rofl rofl
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cost more in gas then I have ever paid for any girlfriend

??? eyebrows
Gamgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe I mean, I spend more cash in gas on my jeep then I have ever spent on movies, dinner, gifts, ransom,ect..ect..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: