Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What size battery?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: What size battery? Reply with quote

I don't have plans right now to run anything crazy on her mainly cause of money. She's a '95 YJ and I am going to be running 2 sets of lights, 1 set is 55w and the oher is 100w. I am going to be dumping my battery soon cause it sucks balls but what amp batt should I get with these lights runnin? The one in there now is a 700amp and I was thinking of upgrading to an 800 or so. What you think?
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Yellow Top Optima, I have a red-top in my car. These batts are awesome. I chose the yellow top for the extra electrical load I am putting on my system. The Yellow tops are deep cycle battery and will survive more dishcharges/recharging than the red-top will.

Here are some specs:
Red Top 910CA 720CCA 33lbs $90.00

Yellow Top 870CA 750CCA 43lbs $135.00

http://optimabattery.com/optima.cfm

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Owen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow top is the way to go....
quadna71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one hundred percent agree with the above two posts - got one in mine Smile (yellowtop)
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things to consider.....

Will you be running the lights much with the engine off. Normally, the alternator carries the electrical load when the engine is running unless the draw is too much for the alt to carry. Then it starts to combine usage of the battery.

True, a "yellow top" Optima is a great battery, but do check the warranties of the yellow and red tops before buying. The red top has a longer warranty and most dealers will cover it even if you have a winch.

Chuck
nikon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points chuck. Mostly with her runnin. I honestly can't afford to spend 90 on a battery right now so that is why I was asking about the amperage. I know i know - I will end up spending more in the long run with replacing the battery and such but i have the money for a cheaper battery now (I am thinking Wal-mart here guys) and maybe next time around I will have some more $$ for the red/yellow top - right now it is just not happening though.
I can spend 40 bucks on a cheap-ass-ghetto-pos-battery right now and more amps doesn't cost more. That's why I was asking about that. Thanks for the info all around Very Happy
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
Jeep'n'John

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider about a deep cycle battery in an automotive electrical system is this:

Deep cycle batteries are designed to be fully charged then fully discharged then fully charged again (hence "Deep Cycle"). If you constantly charge them (like in an automotive charging system) it lessens the life of the battery.

Also a deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. It isnt designed to supply a short surge of power like an automotive battery, i mean it can to a point, just make sure you get one with enough CCA to turn your engine.

A better idea is, if your goal is reserve capacity and you can fit it, Buy two 6volt batteries and connect them in series or even better get two 12volt batteries and connect them parrellel. That is of course if you have the room. Or you could get a battery isolator for your two 12volt batteries. that way you can have ONE battery for the starter and electrical system of your Jeep and ONE for all your goodies being charged by your stalk alternator. Just Make sure your alternater can keep up with the draw on the batteries.

Just some considerations...

Oh Yeah, And don buy cheap batteries!!!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the Yellow top...and that's exactly why I bought one. The reason is one word....winching. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: