Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

regearing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phat Matt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: regearing Reply with quote

I am putting 33's on my xj I assume I have 3.07s now.
I am looking for 4.10's or 4.56's what should I do?
Can I get junkyard 4.10 for the front (D30)?
Can I get 4.10 for a chy 8.25 in the junkyard?

If I need to buy new gears I assume all you need is a ring and pinion and they will bolt up to the stock carrier, y/n?

If I buy new ring and pinion I will probly go with 4.56's, where can a find a cheap set for D30 and chy 8.25 27 spline?

I have looked and havenít found a "how to" site for regearing is there one?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: regearing Reply with quote

I am putting 33's on my xj I assume I have 3.07s now.
If it's a stick, you have 3.07's. If it's an auto you more than likely have 3.55's.

I am looking for 4.10's or 4.56's what should I do?
4.10's will get the job done...but, if it were me, I would go with 4.56's.

Can I get junkyard 4.10 for the front (D30)?
Find a 4 banger TJ. They have 4.10's. Some 4 banger XJ's did as well.

Can I get 4.10 for a chy 8.25 in the junkyard?
You'd have to find a 4 banger XJ with an 8.25...from my understanding, they are pretty rare. TJ's did not come with 8.25's. I axed my 8.25 for a D44 last year, so I haven't looked in awhile, but last I checked...finding gearsets for 8.25's is difficult to say the least.

If I need to buy new gears I assume all you need is a ring and pinion and they will bolt up to the stock carrier, y/n?
No. First of all, setting up a rear involves a lot more than "bolt on and go". The lash needs to be set right, the carrier needs to be centered properly, etc. Secondly, 3.55 is the cutoff point, meaning that any gearing over 3.55 will require that the carrier be replaced. So regardless of what you've got in there now...you will need a new carrier to regear to anything 3.73 or higher.

If I buy new ring and pinion I will probly go with 4.56's, where can a find a cheap set for D30 and chy 8.25 27 spline?
Unless you can finagle a deal, new gearsets are going to cost you $150-$200 per axle...give or take.

I have looked and havenít found a "how to" site for regearing is there one?
Setting up a R&P requires specific tools and a specific knowledge/skill set that puts the work beyond the scope of the average backyard mechanic. So, writeups on how to do one are scarce.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phat Matt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I go buy 4.56's ( http://www.rocky-road.com/xjdrive.html ) for my axles I still need carriers, why do you not see then for sale with the R/P... I guess what I am trying to find out is what parts I need to get me rollin with 4.56's

I am mechanically inclined (Vehicle tech (in training) Canadian Forces) I am sure with "Mitchell on demand" program at work I can figure out how to set them up and borrowing tools is no problem either.

(Yes its a 94 5spd 3.07)

Last edited by Phat Matt on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phat Matt wrote:
so if i go buy a 4.56's ( http://www.rocky-road.com/xjdrive.html ) for my axles i still need carriers?

Yes.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phat Matt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the powertrax no slips work with the new carriers?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should, but I'm not sure if they make different ones for the different carriers. The lunchbox lockers replace the spider gears, which technically are not a part of the carrier. So you may or may not have to specify what gearing you have. I don't remember that question coming up when I bought mine, but that doesn't mean it wasn't asked.

Quote:
Phat Matt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked online for carriers, r/p with out sucsess. Can you point me in the right direction for searching for all the parts needed to regear my axles.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen them paried up like that. Basically you'll need carriers for gears 3.73+, the R&P sets as well as the master overhaul kits (bearings, seals, shims, etc) for both axles. Altogether your looking at ~$3-$400 per axle in parts.

Here's a couple of places I know sells it all. The only one I have yet to buy something from is Discount Jeep Parts.

4x4 Rock Shop
4 Wheeler Supply
Discount Jeep Parts

If you are going to do it yourself, do not to rely on any general specification...get the exact specs for the Jeep. When you are checking backlash, make sure you check the variation in at least 4 places (the more the better)...it should not vary more than 0.002" around the circumference of the ring gear. It's also better to have overall backlash a little loose rather than a little tight (a little being no more than 0.005"). Also, once the drive side pattern is setup, the coast side pattern should be OK...but it should still be checked to make sure.

Good Luck.

Quote:

Last edited by ThePhantum on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phat Matt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your help!
ILLXJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 8.25 you do not need to get a new carrier. JIM.
________
Mercedes-Benz ConceptFASCINATION

Last edited by ILLXJ on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILLXJ wrote:
For the 8.25 you do not need to get a new carrier. JIM.

It's posssible the cutoff point might be (numerically) lower on that axle. In general 3.55's is the cutoff point since the ring gear get's too big to bolt on the carrier.

Quote:
ILLXJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the cut off for the 8.25 is 2.??. I just regared in Jan. to 4.56's & used the stock carrier. JIM.
________
buy cheap vaporizer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: