Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sluggish Jeep

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Sluggish Jeep Reply with quote

My TJ98 didnt want to go past 50mph, and up a modest slope it slowed down to 20mph

So I took it to the guy who also fixes the ambulances where I work, he took it to a friend who put it on a scanner, said something about oxigen sensor ( I have no idea what he was talking about)

He tells me to go get the catalist replaced , he thinks its broken and plugging up my exhaust and plugging up my jeep

So I take it to a muffler shop, the guy there says the catalist broke in the inside and all the carbon? broke loose and plugged up my pipe too, so he changed my catalist for $95 ( I can see a HUGE diference in my jeep now) but he recommended I change the pipe too ( $45 more ) Ill do that this week then get it scanned a second time to make sure that no sensors where messed up

By the way my gas millage was worse then ever when my exhaust was plugged up, now Im back to my terrible but normal 14mpg
guesswho369

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a 4 or 6cyl? What wheels/lift do you have? I just bought into a TJ myself about a month ago wihtout knowing much about what I was buying and hacve been trying to improve mileage myself. I think it';s probably the tires that are giving me the sorry mileage, as I've put an aftermarket header (banks) and a Magnaflow catback on since I got it. I also changed the air filter, plugs, distributor and wires hoping to gain to little effect. I like the 33-inchers but spend considerably more time on-road than off, so I'm thinking about swapping them for 31-inchers instead.

97 TJ, 4cyl
33-inch tires
3-inch lift
Gamgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no lift that I know of, bought it used and it already had 31' tires, so I had to put 2 washers in the wheel stops to keep them from rubbing againts the chassis

I ended up changing the pipe and the catalyst (Sp?) converter , that fixed the problem they where both busted up and plugged

I have changed the air filter, spark plugs and thats it, I need to change the wires, distributer cap and I think its time to change the gas filter, because its starting to feel clogged.
guesswho369

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere (maybe in this forum) that NGK plugs, wires, etc have the lowest resistance and thus help improve gas mileage. I'm going to be putting a gas tank skid plate on this weekend so I'll just replace the fuel filter while I've got it down.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine broke also a while ago and it sucks driving like that. Now in KY you don't even need one.

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: