Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need desperate help! 242 problems, can't figure out what.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbieosterman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Need desperate help! 242 problems, can't figure out what. Reply with quote

Cross posted at JeepsUnlimited, Nagca, and Mallcrawlin... :

Okay,

I put in a 242, swapped the input shaft etc and bolted it all up. For some odd reason now the linkage won't move very much at all (maybe 5 - 10 CM). It seems to be in 2wd as the linkage bar on the transfer case is closest to the transfer case.

So, I turned the car on and it made a horrid sound in park, reverse, neutral, and drive. It sounded like a roller-coaster chain going around. I would give it gas and it would intensify, but sometimes if I put the transmission in neutral or reverse it'll make the roller-coaster chain noise stop. While it was in drive, if I gave it a considerable amount of gas somtimes it would either want to stall the engine or it would spin the output shaft for the rear driveshaft.

Also, if I go under the car while the noise is on, I'll move the linkage bar forward a few centimeters (toward the front of the car) and it'll quiet the noise considerably.

I have video of this but nowhere to host it, so if anyone thinks they can help me diagnose this problem, post your email.

Thanks a ton,
Robbie
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the video is under 10megs you can host it here www.putfile.com
1976 Trans Am
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/531601
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this post somewhere else.. And I agree with what I read there..

Never never never try to make your vehicle go if you are having grinding noise.. I wouldnt think you ruined the case but I bet its got some serious wear on it now...

Take it back out and see if you can shift it when its on the ground.. If not you may have to open it up... If it does shift when its out you probobly had it bound on the input ..Try to restab it...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: