Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Engine replacement Reply with quote

I am kind of new here and have some questions. I have an 88 XJ. I need to replace the engine 4.0 straight 6. The engine I have to replace it with is from a 94. There is no pace for the knock sensor on the 94 and the distributor shaft is clocked a few degrees different from the 88. Does this make a difference? Also I was told that the drive plate would need to be changed. Can anyone help?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that there's no knock sensor on the 94...but I'm not sure if that will cause a problem with the ECU. Otherwise it should be fine. When you say "drive plate" I assume you mean the flywheel? Is the 88 an auto or a manual? Same question for the 94.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both automatic. I noticed that the distributor shafts are clocked about 4 degrees different from eachother. That is, the distributor from the 88 will not seat at the exact same place as the one from the 94. Also, the flywheel has a different amount of notches on it than that of the 88. I am told that the crank position sensor counts these notches for timing purposes. Well we have the 94 engine it the vehicle now and I am not getting any spark. I traded the distributor shafts and it does line up with TDC. But I am wondering if the flywheel thing could be an issue because of the different amount of notches, it may not be sending te correct info to the ECU.
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys and gals. I did some research and made a few phone calls, here is what I found. Since I am not changing the wiring harness to accomodate the 94 engine, the flywheel from the 88 needs to go on the 94 block. The CPS is a different model between these years and the ECU in the 88 needs the info from the 88 flywheel and CPS. This is why I have no spark. The CPS on the 88 is not sending the correct info to the ECU because the flywheel is notched differently. Thought I would pass this on to every one in case you have the same problem. Very Happy Now I have to take this engine back out, not fun. Crying or Very sad If I learn anything more I will post it for everyones benefit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: