Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biggest rubber for Rubicon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravensfan75

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Biggest rubber for Rubicon Reply with quote

I have a 2004 Rubicon and I am looking to put bigger tires under her.
I have a 2" suspension lift and have put 2" Spidertrax spacers behind the stock MOAB wheels.

With the lift and the offset provided by the spacers, will this accomidate 33" x 12.5" rubber?

If not, how big can you go?..the stock tires are 245/75r16 which are about 31" but not so wide.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run them on the street. But offroad, the 2" lift is too short for that size tire when disconnected and articulating without proper bump stop adjustments to keep the tires from contacting the fender.
ravensfan75

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

how about for milder trail riding that did not involve disconnecting anything?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no pics to show, but on the Rube and a 2" BB Ive seen both the LT305/70R16(12.25 x 33") and the LT315/75R16(12.25 x 34.5") both mounted on the 16" Moab wheels....and neither using any spacers.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply with quote

ravensfan75 wrote:

Not to be a wise'en'heimer, but why'd ya spend the extra dough on a Rubicon then? To each their own, but dual lockers and a 4:1 case for mild romps down a forest trail seems a bit overkill when the same coulda been accomplished with an X or something like that. If you're just after the 'look' of a more aggresive vehicle then yah, 33's will fit with that setup. For mild trailing, a stock Rubicon is more than adequate off the lot.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply with quote

ravensfan75 wrote:

It's not trail riding if you don't have to disconnect. Attempting to do so is one of the reasons the stock swaybar links break. They are designed like a ball-and-socket joint and the ball pulls out of the socket under enough force (like when an axle is prevent from articulating b/c you didn't disconnect when offroad).
Eggs4Lunch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
Sorry no pics to show, but on the Rube and a 2" BB Ive seen both the LT305/70R16(12.25 x 33") and the LT315/75R16(12.25 x 34.5") both mounted on the 16" Moab wheels....and neither using any spacers.

I hate to disagree with "The Angry Moderator," but here goes anyway.

I have a Rubi with BFG 285 MT's on stock Moabs. The Jeep has a 2" OME HD spring lift and a 1" body lift. Without washers behind the wheel stops and extended bumpstops these relatively narrow 33" tires definately rub on the swaybar well before full turn on the street and kiss the under side of the fender at full compression when off road.

With only a 2" budget boost, there is no way 315/75R16's (35's) will work without major rubbing on the swaybar unless you have wheel spacers, deeper offset wheels or use several washers behind the wheel stops. If you do anything but mall cruze, you run a very high risk of doing serious damage to the fenders with only a 2" budget boost and 35" tires.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggs4Lunch wrote:
WhatWasIThinkin wrote:

I hate to disagree with "The Angry Moderator," but here goes anyway.

I have a Rubi with BFG 285 MT's on stock Moabs. The Jeep has a 2" OME HD spring lift and a 1" body lift. Without washers behind the wheel stops and extended bumpstops these relatively narrow 33" tires definately rub on the swaybar well before full turn on the street and kiss the under side of the fender at full compression when off road.

With only a 2" budget boost, there is no way 315/75R16's (35's) will work without major rubbing on the swaybar unless you have wheel spacers, deeper offset wheels or use several washers behind the wheel stops. If you do anything but mall cruze, you run a very high risk of doing serious damage to the fenders with only a 2" budget boost and 35" tires.

I wasnt saying it should be done without spacers or a lift over 2", I just said its been done. Ive seen a few here live and personal that have done it and at JU there were many pics in a Rubi related thread that had the same. Do I recomend it ..no. But that wasnt what ravensfan75 asked and he has spacers which is what he says in his original post. He dosent say that he's gonna run the Rubicon with it and maybe it will never go offroad, most lifted and mondo tired Jeeps dont ever see dirt or rocks unless the owner accidently drives off the edge of his hot top driveway.

Sorry that I didnt qualify my post better so that I could start some numbnutz debate Rolling Eyes He asked a simple question and I gave the simple answer. Mr. Green

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: