Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone tried any alt. fuels (alcohol)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckeyecop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys and gals.
New guy to this forum...Thanks for putting up with me.

As for the acetone, it works best if you use 'Premium' (93 octane). It's actually only supposed to work with premium but I've heard that it works sporadically with lower grades but is not consistant. I don't have the information right in front of me but it has to do with how hot the fuel burns. According to what I have heard, 2.5 oz. per gallon gives you a 30% increase in MPG and makes your fuel burn a lot cleaner. DO NOT use more than 2.5oz or things will start to melt. I heard a guy on the radio a few weeks ago talking about it and he had to go and replace his exhaust manifold due to cracking and when he removed it he found almost zero traces of carbon build-up. Seems it has more benefits than just increased MPG.

On a sidenote, I am trying to acquire an 86 Diesel...going to try and run it on straight peanut oil...theoretically it will work with a good block heater but how it runs will be the real test.
D-LARGE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that sucks. So its 1oz/10 gallons of gas? And can I still use 87 octane?
31" BFG ALL TERRAINS
Hognuts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using acetone since I read about it here. I have been using 3 oz. to every 17-18 gallons. The recommendations are for 1 to 3 oz. per 10 gallons of gas (experiment to dial in your optimum mix). Recommendations are AGAINST premium and ethanol blended fuel. Not endorsing any brand here, but the articles suggested regular unleaded from Shell, BP, or Mobil/Exxon. They said that it will have little effect on crappy fuel. I have noticed a remarkable increase. I have to admit I am probably driving "smarter" to maximize the effect. But there is no way driving habits alone could produce the gains I am seeing.

Before acetone my range until fuel warning light was 245 to 260 miles. Once warning light came on, my 1998 Cherokee limited took 17 to 17.5 gallons. 252.5 / 17.25 = 14.63 MPG. I am sure that most of you experience very similar mileage. Note: this is combined city/highway identical driving week in and week out.

Since adding acetone:

1st test
added 3 oz to fill up of BP regular unleaded
ran 283.3 miles on 17.488 gal = 16.2 mpg
Not bad 1.57 MPG increase or 27.45 additional miles out of the tank
at $2.85 per gallon this is a savings of $5.35 (2.85/14.63*27.45)

2nd test
ran 326.7 miles on 17.160 gal = 19.04 mpg
Great! 4.41 MPG increase or 74.2 additional miles out of the tank
at $2.73 per gallon this is a savings of $13.85 (2.73/14.63*74.2)

3rd test
ran 310.5 miles on 17.328 gal = 17.91 mpg
Good 3.28 MPG increase or 58 additional miles out of the tank
at $2.53 per gallon this is a savings of $10.03 (2.53/14.63*58)

This tank I have not added acetone to see if mileage dropps to pre test levels.

I have noticed easier starting, smoother idle, and sharper throttle response. I realize that these observations are not measurable, but I know my XJ, I have 125,430 miles on it and I do recognize improved performance.

I believe that it helps to use acetone.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

http://peswiki.com/energy/Directory:Acetone:Gas_Station_Differences

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

Hognuts
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much does it cost? roughly per container or per ounce? where can you get it?
Hognuts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 16 oz bottle marked 100% Pure Acetone at Walgreens in the beauty aids section. It is behind the counter. I believe women use it as fingernail polish remover. (NOTE: this is not the stuff with vitamins and oils added, do not use that stuff). I paid $2.99 for the 16 oz (plastic) bottle. That boils down to about 18 cents per oz or 56 cents per 3 oz treatment. Oh yea, I bought a funnel for $1.79, our XJ's don't have an easy way to get it in without spilling on the paint otherwise.

I am going to refill the 16 oz bottle with the 100% pure acetone that is sold in gallon containers from farm fleet, or TSC, I think that Home Depot/Lowes may have it also and keep the 16 oz bottle in the XJ. I am not doing that to lower the cost but to be sure I have a supply.

Hope this answers your questions.

Hognuts

Last edited by Hognuts on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: buying Acetone Reply with quote

I got my can of pure Acetone from the paint section of Home Depot. I think a quart was around 4 dollars. They also sell it by the gallon which of course is cheaper per ounce. You do need an easy way of putting it in because it will make a mess of paint if not careful. I use a small fruit can crushed into a pouring edge and funnel. Easy to measure out this way. On a side note, my fuel light just came on... I did the calculations and the Scanguage was almost dead on. Very cool. Good luck.
NiX94XJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats this scangauge? Ive never heard of it.
Hognuts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use one, but alot of people do and seem to like the data it provides.

http://pureenergysystems.com/store/ScanGauge/

Hognuts
NiX94XJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh, i see, but it has to have an OBDII plug in which is year 96+..
Hognuts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea. As I said, I don't use one. I believe that jeepinNH has one and that it kept track "on the fly" pretty accurately once the final calculations were done. I have seen posts on other forums where people used it and gave the same accuracy reports. It is not required to test the acetone theory in application on your vehicle.
Hognuts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - I found this link showing a few products that contain acetone. Some people have said that the minute concentrations (less than 1/2 %) that are required to enhance mileage will totally destroy plastics, gaskets, rubber, injectors, seals, artificial finger nails, etc. I would direct them to look at products like carb cleaner with up to 30% concentrations of acetone sprayed directly on those parts. The auto industry has used it for years in concentrations as high as 70% to clean these very parts.

I agree however that it is possible for cheap plastics and rubber to be affected by full strength acetone, and other solvents. Remember that gasoline itself has solvent properties, (ever use it on a rag to clean tar off your chrome bumber?) yet fuel systems are designed with higher grade materials to resist those properties. Additionally, acetone will not (NOT) eat all types of plastic. It is shipped in plastic bottles with plastic lids. There are grades of plastic that resist melting by solvents.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=194

Note: this is a government web site so I highly suspect the accuracy of its reporting. (added for the conspiracy theorists)
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this isn't Cherokee specific, I'm moving this to general tech. Wink
el_dubya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: WAIT!!! Reply with quote

Looking through the posts, it looks as though you have already ran the alcohol blend through, I assume you used E85? Either way, if your vehicle wasnt designed to run on the higher alcohol blends, I would strongly advise against it. I have researched this a lot, being in college I have written a few papers on it and am actually in the process of making some of my own. For one, ethanol is highly corosive. Therefore, if you have any deposits of dirt, rust, or just grime in general anywhere in your fuel system, it will come lookse and travel through the system. This isn't good. I would reccomend a fuel filter as close to the engine as possible to avoid runnig these thigns through the engine. This filter may clog up often to start with too. Second of all, the corrosivness will eat the seals right out of your system. This means leaks... everywhere. See, ethanol is alcohol, and alcohol loves water, thats why rubbing alcohol will get water out of your ears. So it sucks your seals dry and they literally crumble and fall out. Those are the 2 main problems. You engine will run it, as you have found out. But to get optimum performance youd want to raise the compression ratio and change the timing. Also, if you can figure out a way to start it on gas then switch it over to the ethanol, it would start a lot easier. Just my 2 cents of what I have researched.

'98 TJ SE
15x7 ProComp Series 51 Rock Crawler Wheels
31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
grandjeeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have heard that with the acetone, if you have like 100k miles or more, then the acetone will break down all that 100k miles of gunk and lock your engine up. anybody else heard nething like that
Hognuts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have noticed easier starting, smoother idle, and sharper throttle response. I realize that these observations are not measurable, but I know my XJ, I have 125,430 miles on it and I do recognize improved performance.

I believe that it helps to use acetone.

Over 100K and no lock up yet...still waiting for the ol' girl to get acetone related terminal constipation. I also heard if you drain all the oil out of em and fill em up with silica sand they lock up no matter how many miles on em, neone heard that one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: