Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone tried any alt. fuels (alcohol)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hognuts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

165,388 miles on the old girl now. Been using acetone non stop and finally a break down!! I had to have new front pads installed and the rotors turned!!!

Mechanic said he suspected acetone related hecto polymorphic surfactant breakdown of the raybestos elements....sheesh

Average range from full till low fuel light remains 315 to 330.

No other damage from that demon elixer from hell.

hognuts
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is pretty interesting , i wouldn't try and make my own alcohol and mix it with gas for fuel like some one said in an earlier post because gas has alot of additives in it like detergents and such , you start making your own alcohol and mixing it with gas and you start to mess things up .

the acetone really wont hurt anything in your engine , the amount you are mixing with the gas is minimal , i really doubt it would eat away all your plastic components . in its pure form yes it eats plastic and rubbers like a hot dahm , but that diluted i can't see it .

i stay away from methenol , and we don't have gasahol in my city . i wouldn't run it anyway . i really don't care about my fuel consumption , i like big blocks and blowers , the 16 doesn't hurt me that bad .

i don't think acetone will increase your water temp , the fable of it melting things is going to apply to a piston most likely or valves , but honestly thats bull shit . you are barely putting any acetone in there , im sure you could put that much urine in and it wouldn't hurt it . the only thing i could think is that the fuel wouldn't cool the piston as much but seriously there is barely any acetone in there .

then again i ran my lawn mower off diesel because i ran out of gas , it ran perfectly fine on two tanks then i put gas back in it .

please don't put diesel in your jeep , this was a 5hp briggs im sure it can run off sunshine and rainbows with a 60 wet shot and still be okay , as long as you don't over rev it . ( i got hit with a con rod from a briggs once) ahh good times .

next time you change your fuel filter , cut it open and see if the acetone ate the guts . i don't think it would of but maybe just for fun . or not .
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
11mpg on the 04 grand? you should at least get 14, something doesnt sound right to me on that

2 much skiny pedal.
dry suit diver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

over this side of the pond I run my 96 XJ i6 on propane, it has its own ECU to control everything and being half the price of petrol (gasoline) it suits me especially when gas costs the equivalent of $7.50 a gallon , and thats in US gallons not UK gallons.

no power loss at all and its a clean fuel for the engine with no washdown on the cylinders, some people think that it erodes valve seats but 147K miles later and it still runs sweet.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propane is great , millage and power is usually only differs around 10 hp and 1-2mpg , but for the price .

propane is clean-burning, much more so than gasoline. Propane leaves no lead, varnish, or carbon deposits that cause the premature wearing of pistons, rings, valves, and spark plugs. The engine stays clean, free of carbon and sludge. This means less maintenance and an extended engine life. and you can't forget the octane rating of 110

if you cant put up with the smell , the sound and the tank then its awesome , plus the set up will run upside down so climbing a hill is no issue , not that fuel injection cares but if it had a carb then its an improvement .

only downside is initial cost , and the fact you can't legally touch it unless your propane certified . that and you need special exhaust pipe since its such a wet fuel , or your exhaust just doesn't last .

used to have a old jimmy with a 350 on propane , had everything propane including special heads . ran like a top , and actually sounded good with dual exhaust .
Brad S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
165,388 miles on the old girl now. Been using acetone non stop and finally a break down!! I had to have new front pads installed and the rotors turned!!!

I thought acetone was only good for maybe 1-3 tanks. I was pretty sure that all it accomplished was to clean out the system. Could be wrong though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: