Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone tried any alt. fuels (alcohol)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hognuts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1st test
added 3 oz to fill up of BP regular unleaded
ran 283.3 miles on 17.488 gal = 16.2 mpg
Not bad 1.57 MPG increase or 27.45 additional miles out of the tank
at $2.85 per gallon this is a savings of $5.35 (2.85/14.63*27.45)

2nd test
ran 326.7 miles on 17.160 gal = 19.04 mpg
Great! 4.41 MPG increase or 74.2 additional miles out of the tank
at $2.73 per gallon this is a savings of $13.85 (2.73/14.63*74.2)

3rd test
ran 310.5 miles on 17.328 gal = 17.91 mpg
Good 3.28 MPG increase or 58 additional miles out of the tank
at $2.53 per gallon this is a savings of $10.03 (2.53/14.63*58)

This tank I have not added acetone to see if mileage dropps to pre test levels

Well here it is:
4th test
no acetone
ran 256.8 miles on 17.441 gal = 14.727 mpg
normal .09 mpg increase over base number.
the results are so close to baseline I consider it to be no change.

I have gone back to using acetone and will do so until all the gaskets, seals, fuel lines, injectors, manifold, throttle body, cat converter, stereo buttons, and valve stems melt off.

I am not recommending it nor endorsing it for ANYONE ELSE in any other vehicle, just that I am going to use it in my 98 4.0 XJ limited.

hognuts
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really think that in that small amout in will do damage like that?

someone said on here that the 2+2 carb cleaner is more harmful than acetone is
Hognuts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I previously wrote:

Quote:
BTW - I found this link showing a few products that contain acetone. Some people have said that the minute concentrations (less than 1/2 %) that are required to enhance mileage will totally destroy plastics, gaskets, rubber, injectors, seals, artificial finger nails, etc. I would direct them to look at products like carb cleaner with up to 30% concentrations of acetone sprayed directly on those parts. The auto industry has used it for years in concentrations as high as 70% to clean these very parts.

I agree however that it is possible for cheap plastics and rubber to be affected by full strength acetone, and other solvents. Remember that gasoline itself has solvent properties, (ever use it on a rag to clean tar off your chrome bumber?) yet fuel systems are designed with higher grade materials to resist those properties. Additionally, acetone will not (NOT) eat all types of plastic. It is shipped in plastic bottles with plastic lids. There are grades of plastic that resist melting by solvents.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=194

Note: this is a government web site so I highly suspect the accuracy of its reporting. (added for the conspiracy theorists)

I don't believe that there is any damage occurring to my XJ. There are people (very inteligent people) out there who are convinced beyond any doubt that all of these things will happen if you use acetone. I added that last line in defiance to their blind opposition to the use of acetone.

I am reasonably convinced that it works, it causes no harm, and will save fuel. Until any of the previously mentioned "melt downs" occur I will continue to use it.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-4 on that keep us posted if anything happens
Hognuts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at what I found today at the local CarQuest. It is also selling at Discount Auto Parts, Advanced Auto Parts, and other locations. Really you gotta check out this site. Once you read this page, click on the "How it Works" link at the top of the page.

Oh yea. . . . it's Acetone!!!

They are getting $4.95 for a 4 oz canister of it. I pay 75 cents at Walgreens for 4 oz of pure acetone(the same stuff).

Gotta believe there is some governing agency who approved this.

http://www.extrampg.com/

hognuts
Venomized

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful of running too much acetone as acetone will eat plastic and there is A LOT of plastic in the Jeep fuel system.

I have no idea what the happy medium is but probably a good idea not to exceed the mixture recommendations.

2001 WJ, not much stuff

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE, fun toy
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we went over that already...he said he didnt care
Hognuts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1st test
ran 283.3 miles on 17.488 gal = 16.2 mpg
Not bad 1.57 MPG increase or 27.45 additional miles out of the tank
at $2.85 per gallon this is a savings of $5.35 (2.85/14.63*27.45)

2nd test
ran 326.7 miles on 17.160 gal = 19.04 mpg
Great! 4.41 MPG increase or 74.2 additional miles out of the tank
at $2.73 per gallon this is a savings of $13.85 (2.73/14.63*74.2)

3rd test
ran 310.5 miles on 17.328 gal = 17.91 mpg
Good 3.28 MPG increase or 58 additional miles out of the tank
at $2.53 per gallon this is a savings of $10.03 (2.53/14.63*58)

This tank I have not added acetone to see if mileage dropps to pre test levels

Well here it is:
4th test
no acetone
ran 256.8 miles on 17.441 gal = 14.727 mpg

Back on acetone
5th test
ran 315.3 miles on 17.598 gal = 17.92 mpg
Good 3.29 MPG increase or 58.95 additional miles out of the tank
at $2.15 per gallon this is a savings of $8.66 (2.15/14.63*58.95)

No melted plastic goo anywhere on engine, driveway, or garage floor from the "plastic eating elixer from hell" yet.

I have now added acetone to my wifes 2000 XJ Limited.

Results
1st test
added 3 oz to fill up of Shell regular unleaded
ran 301.4 miles on 17.495 gal = 17.23 mpg

2nd test
added 3 oz to fill up of Shell regular unleaded
ran 319.5 miles on 17.627 gal = 18.12 mpg

mileage increased on 2nd test, I believe that is due to cleaning effect. Sorry, but I do not have a non-acetone baseline for this vehicle for comparison.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after following this forum for some time i'm thinking about trying it to. i'm kinda 50/50 on whether or not it will damage anything. i guess the only way to know is to run it for a long time and see if anything happens. i was wondering if anybody here has used it for a long enough time period to feel confident. or is everybody here still within their first couple tanks of testing?
________
vaporizer manufacturers

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if it hasnt happend in 5 tank fulls then it wont happen....that makes no sense that the carb cleaner is more potent than acetone but they say acetone will eat away plastic.....

of course if the engine is REALLY hot then something may happen...im sure he will keep us posted
Hognuts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fox and scorpio. Thanks for following and keeping an open mind.

FYI on my 98 I added the TurboCity hi flow thermostat housing and a 160 degree thermostat as described in the XJ cooling system narrative from thephantom under tech. My wifes 00 has all stock components. My 98 runs between 160 and 180 at all times depending on stop and go or open road traffic. Her 00 is always just shy of 210. We have not had heat problems. I made my thermostat change last spring (long before the acetone test).

We certainly do not have any heat issues, ie warped heads (other than my own after too many wobbly pops) blown gaskets, failed radiators, burst hoses, heater cores, scorched oil, or cracked blocks.

Just providing info. Not making recommendations. The decision to use it is up to you guys, but for me I'm a believer. I will provide any and all info positive or negative that I discover.

Thanks for keeping an open mind, and good luck in whatever you decide to do. I'll never preach to anyone.

hognuts.

edited to add:

They are correct, acetone will eat some types of plastics. Unfortunately, they are irresponsible and infer that it will eat ALL types of plastic. I buy the stuff in 16oz. plastic bottles at Walgreens. Additionally, gasoline eats (note that to be responsible I say some) plastic, put a cup of gas in a ziplock bag or a styrofoam cup for a week and see what you get. Gasoline is a solvent too. Fuel systems are made with some plastic components thats true, but they are of the type to resist the solvent traits of gasoline. Additionally, the concentrations we are using 2 oz per 10 gallons is infintisimally small there are 1,280 oz in 10 gallons and we are adding 2 oz. it is diluted to the point that it is no more a solvent than the gasoline itself.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he knows his shizzle Wink
leothelion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: I'm happy, thus far... Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
after following this forum for some time i'm thinking about trying it to. i'm kinda 50/50 on whether or not it will damage anything. i guess the only way to know is to run it for a long time and see if anything happens. i was wondering if anybody here has used it for a long enough time period to feel confident. or is everybody here still within their first couple tanks of testing?

Over the last week I've read a dozen different articles about adding acetone to gas. Obviously, this is not something an average joe would do, adding nail-polish remover to a gas tank? Anyway, facts are the best PROOF. I'm on 182 miles since adding acetone in my '01 Chevy Cav 2.2 liter LS. I have 76k miles on the odometer. My average mileage went from 26-30 mpg (combined) 32-36 mpg (or roughly 20% increase). Means little to me right now; will mean a whole lot in months :-)!

Next? My Gas guzzin' '04 Jeep GC V-8 limited! SOMETHING'S must improve my current 11mpg!
leothelion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: still good Reply with quote

Ok, 222.5 miles and 7.008 gal. That's roughly 31.75 mpg city/high combined.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11mpg on the 04 grand? you should at least get 14, something doesnt sound right to me on that
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: