Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'98 GC Limited LX Axle / Susp. problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mimic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: '98 GC Limited LX Axle / Susp. problems Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

after a long search throughout the internet, I finally found this forum and already gathered a lot of very good info, thanks to all for creating that knowledge base Very Happy

But now, I'm running into a problem, my local dealer was unable to resolve 'til now.
I'm driving an armored '98 GC limited LX. This makes the car about 500pd heavier. The suspension has been reinforced and lifted about 1" to take that extra weight. Now, at 60k, the whole susp. has been replaced (shocks, stabilizers, susp. arms etc.)
But, if driving over an uneven road with a lot of short, hard strokes, there's still a very loud, banging noise underneath the car (like metal tubes slamming together). I've been at the garage 3 times now and finally started searching myself. The only thing suspicious to me is the axle shaft connecting the transfer case with the front differential. It seems to have quite a slack where connected to the transfer case and I can move the universal joint some degrees up and down. The shaft to the rear-diff. doesn't have the same slack. What parts would need to be replaced in this case, is it likely to fail finally? Could that be causing this noise?
please give me some advise
thanks already
TJ
nixt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Banging noise Reply with quote

First, remember the best defense is a good offense. If you've contracted with a private security firm, their vehicles likely have no additional armor but loads of firepower. This is because instinct tells us to "turtle" up inside the armored exterior instead of fighting back. As for the noise, the suspension may be bottoming out- if you don't really need all that articulation you can put in larger bumpstops from a taller lift and possibly get some adjustable coil spacers. But it is probably a driveshaft smacking against something under the truck. I believe there is a slip yoke connection at the transfer case which allows for a tremendous amount of play in the driveshaft and under moderately extreme situations the shaft can actually slip out of the transfer case. One inch of lift seems like a minor modification for the driveshaft to slip free. In a related note, I previously owned a 1995 Blazer and there was so much driveshaft slap it would actually strike the fuel tank and the exhaust system- it was recalled within a year to add underbody protection

Nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
mimic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the fast answer.
I would like to be more offensive, but here in Brazil, possession (and use) of firearms is forbidden by law (somebody would just need to tell that the bad guys too...) My two cars (the Jeep and the X5) are both armored to protect my family against this kind of random criminals on traffic lights and kidnappers (that's a common problem here)
I did try to move the shaft that far, it can't bang against anything but it makes a hollow noise on it's own when I hit it. The play on the transfer case seems to be radial as axial, is this normal? The car has a Quadra-Trac, is it possible to dismount the shaft and drive without, just to see if it's really the source? What is most likely to be replaced in such a case?

thanks

TJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: