Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gas prices

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
My question is why hasn't this been dealt with already? This has been a brewing problem and it took a catastrophe of nature to push it up and beyond tolerance. There is no shortage of crude oil in the world, there is a lack of refined product in this country available for sale though. Now we have 30% (or something like that) of the refineries in the country out of commision, or in limited production by this time, due to the hurricane. So, we all agree that gas pricing has been an issue long before the devastation that struck the southern parts of the US, yet the average Joe Public is quick to blame those damn rich Arab nations for screwing us to the walls here. Again, there is no shortage of crude. The problem is right here. Why the fawk haven't the existing refineries been retooled for more production, this takes a year or more? Why hasn't construction of new refineries commenced when it became apparent that the consumer demand was here to stay and not gonna decline in the slightest? New refineries take quite a bit of time to construct, not like it's just whipping together a new industrial park down the road. Why the hell do I have to pay for this country ignoring it's own needs yet jumping at the opportunity to play super hero with the rest of the world? Know what'll happen, this'll go on for a month or two and then production (which is already too low, but I've stated that like a zillion times already) will go back to normal and prices will 'stablize' again and we'll be damn glad we get to pay like $2.60 a gallon Rolling Eyes . I've about fawking had it, but what the hell are ya gonna do because it's a critical product to just about every aspect of life in some way, shape, of form. Pissed would be an understatement at this point....

As some of you know I used to actually dispatch Fuel Trucks. I still keep in contact with some fellas that I used to work with. One of the major issues right now is not neccesarily lack of product, it is lack of availability.

In Birmingham, for example, there are 6 terminals all withing 1 mile of each other. They average 3 lanes per terminal. As of yesterday there was only one terminal that "had gas" and the gas trucks were having to wait over 3 hours for one load [8800 gals of NL or 7500 gals of DSL]. The normal wait time is less that 15 minutes. Now the other terminals definately have fuel, but they are waiting for the price to increase so that their profits go up also.

There is also the fact that Low Sulfer Fuel [aka "Summer Gas"] is about to fall out of production later this month. This is a special blend that is used in metro areas during the summer for smog control. Low Sulfer is more expensive to make, and so the less that the refineries/terminals make available then the more profits they can make in two-three weeks. |EXAMPLE: Wholesale right now is about $3 per gallon of 87. Let's say that it costs $2.50 per gallon to manufacture. Or in three weeks they can sell it for $2.75 wholesale but it only costs $2.00 to make.|

I used to deal with this stuff daily and it was a pain in the ass. I had over 100 locations to get fuel to and terminals would pull this crap all the time. ESPECIALLY when the price was going up- they would totally shut down their terminal for 4 hours when the new prices would go into effect and then WOW.... golly gee wiz.. we have some gas now.

Something else to keep in mind. The companies [BP, Marathon-Ashland, Transmontaigne, Allied, Placid, Colonial and Citgo] are in their business to make their stockholders money. If the top brass have a good year then they get big bonuses. It seems uglier than it actually is because it directly affects our lives on a daily basis. Can anyone tell me what grain futures have done this month? How about coal or gold? There are currently few regulations on what oil companies can and can't do.

Now bear in mind that I am not saying any of this is right by any means, I'm just trying to give a different perspective on things. I am as pissed off as everyone else and maybe moreso because I used to work in the industry.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish that a huge push for soy based fuel would start. In Ky alone many tabacco farmers have now switched to soy since its uses are increasing in almost every market. I know that they are toying with soy based fuels and a lot of farmers are running equipment off of soy based fuels and it's working great. I don't see a future for all these hybrid cars and hydrogen replacing oil. I strongly feel that soy will take over and be the new black gold (well green atleast).
What sucks is when I see people that struggle to get food and can't afford a value meal at McDonalds are now forced to pay atleast that much or more for 1 gallon of gas. I hope all the share holders and people in control of our oil crash and burn.

Another thing that pisses me off is that all these damn towel heads against the Western civilazation are claiming that Katrina joined the jihad and attacked America. Of course it did, a natural disaster had a political agenda that would only benefit it, and decided to join the efforts to destroy us. I reallt hate people, and if you could vote for me to be president, I would pretty much destroy half the world.

Also to these damn gang bangers in LA. Quit trying to hurt people with your ignorance. People need help and you are going to shoot at the helicopters trying to deliver goods? Why couldn't the ocean have swalloed them!

I really do hate people

My Morning Jacket
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
I reallt hate people, and if you could vote for me to be president, I would pretty much destroy half the world.

I really do hate people

hahaha yea man i hear ya id shoot back if i was in them choppers rofl
Drake69

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
Keithtj wrote:
I reallt hate people, and if you could vote for me to be president, I would pretty much destroy half the world.

I really do hate people

hahaha yea man i hear ya id shoot back if i was in them choppers rofl

Don't laugh. I found out from one of the guys at work, the new Nat'l Guard troops they're sending in? About half of them came in from IRAQ, which means COMBAT-HARDENED VETS THAT WON'T TAKE CRAP FROM ANYONE OR ANYTHING. Let 'em shoot at one now. Funny how much louder an M-16 assault rifle will answer the call to a .38 street special.

Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they shoot all those thugs

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: