Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuel pump question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
macnkyle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: fuel pump question? Reply with quote

I am having a problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. About 8 months ago the fuel pump seemed to have quit working. The car died and wouldn't start. I noticed that I wasn't hearing the 1 second prime when I would turn the key on. After it sat for a few days I tried to start it again, I heard the prime and it started and ran just fine. I went through this a few times and when I would have the problem I would get under the back and hit the tank with a rubber mallet and it would run. Finally it just started working without having to hit the tank. That has been about 6 months ago and now my problem has returned and I have to beat the tank again. Is this the fuel pump or could it be something else? Is the fuel pump hard to replace? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
95sahara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure sounds like your fuel pump to me. It shouldn't be too hard, as long as all your fuel tank mounting bolts aren't too rusted. You just have to drop the tank, pull the sending unit out and replace the pump.
PICS
chevman-67

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree its the same problem im having right now and its not hard to change mine is on the ground as we speak I did snap both my strap bolts they are only 7.50 new at the dealer for these ,the pump on the other hand is expensive as hell!the sending unit in the tank is just screwed on with a plastic ring the whole thing slides out ,be carefull not to bend or break the float .it took me about 1/2 hour to remove with 1/2 a tank of fuel.PS this fuel pump and sending unit is huge.good luck.mine had 40 psi when cold but 15 psi when warmed up and ran like crap.
1993 jeep grand cherokee
Venomized

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend that you change it when the tank is near empty. For most there seems to be a program in the PCM that prevents the fuel pump from dying at oportune times. They seem to finally go out away from home or just after you filled up. Most be something in the programming. Mr. Green -LOL

You might even think about looking in the tech section and performing the swampy bypass.

2001 WJ, not much stuff

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE, fun toy
BeachCrawler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a new pump for $148.55 delivered but I read on any board that Pepboy's has one for about $100.00. You should check the brand and quality to be sure.
macnkyle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i got one at napa for $170. I went ahead and done it myself it was actually pretty easy it was just time consuming it took about 2 hours but i took my time. Just make sure ur tank is pretty empty or u might have alittle trouble lifting the tank back up but other than that i recomend doing it yourself instead of paying $200 to have someone else do it.
BeachCrawler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news. Now we can both laugh at the people who paid the dealer $600-$700 for the same job. As they say "Jeeps are made not bought."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: