Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new rear bumper and tire carrier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RubiRock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: new rear bumper and tire carrier Reply with quote

well, unfortunately, my Rubicon got rearended about 2weeks ago while sitting at a stop light, by an uninsured driver no less pissed .... hit on the right rear just under the tail light. crushed the rear corner and right side of the bumper, wrinkled the side panel (all the way up to the diamond plate rocker guards) and just altogether sucks ass. over $1800 in damages according to the bodyshop guys estimate.

So on to the point, i've been trying to find a relatively cheap rock bumper with a tire carrier. as i understand it, the rubi's wheel/tire combo in stock form is already too heavy for rear gate and i'd like to get that weight to the frame, and look good doing it. I'm going to keep the $180 that a new stock bumper would cost and put that toward a bumper/tire carrier combo. Looking for something in the $400-500 range.
So far i've found the following:
LoD http://www.4x4xplor.com/LoD.html
Steves http://www.stevesjeepfab.com/products.htm
Mesa http://www.mesa4x4.com/dynamic/part_details.asp?part_num=M4-BMP001

Anybody here have experience with these? I've seen alot of much more extravagant bumpers with elaborate corner protection (which i would like), but i dont really want to drop 800-1000bux right now. plus i have to pay the damn $500 deductible for this nonsense so that's taking a chunk out of my budget. Any help is much appreciated....

On a side note, i need to download a copy of the 04 FSM....if anybody can point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it. I got the fsm and parts list before from a very kind gentelman, but unfortunately, i was only able to upload the parts list to my gmail account and my computer crashed shortly there after.....again, any help is appreciated.....

thanks,
imran
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to purchase the LoD bumper, Drack has it and seems to like it.

My Morning Jacket
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with the LOD is it's made from 1/8". It's lighter, but it's also weaker.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also a fraction of the cost!

My Morning Jacket
IBTJn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Steve's Jeep fab bumper and really like it. It's very similar to the Mesa one...but Steve will build to suit. Very good quality IMO. I've compared it to the Garvin (Wilderness) bumper side by side...along with the Bulletproof and Toys by Troy. In my opinion, Steve's is every bit as good...from the welds, to the swing away design and hardware. Want something different on it like Hi-Lift mount high like mine is? Just tell them. They'll build it as you like. The LoD bumper isn't near as stout as what I have. A couple friends of mine have the LoD...which I also had considered. Here's The Write Up I did for the Steve's.

The only thing is, count on some lead time. Last I heard he was 4-5 weeks out. Primarily because they just moved their shop to a larger facility. But I would buy another Steve's anyday! thumbs

here's mine;

Wink

~Edited to fix link - Code3TJ~
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with my LoD swingout. Price was right and it'll do what I want it to...hold a 35" tire. It's stronger than the stocker, so I'm happy with that, was not gonna drop an assload of cash into something like that. I'm not towing or plan to tow anything with it and use the hook I have mounted on the crossmember for a tow point, so no worries there. When and if I ever do wheel again Rolling Eyes , I doubt I'll have any probs with it. I'm one of those slow 4LO crawly kinda guys, so most of my impacts are low speed, shouldn't do more than scratch the paint a bit Mr. Green . I was looking for a low buck, no frills tire carrier. That's what I got and I'd buy it again if I had to do it over again. Here's a crappy pic (everything's black, so not much contrast Wink )...

bgreiwe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the jeeperman front am very happy with the quality. I was not however happy with the service that Raingler provides. Which of those bmprs are similiar in quality to the jeeperman, if any?
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreiwe wrote:
I have the jeeperman front am very happy with the quality. I was not however happy with the service that Raingler provides. Which of those bmprs are similiar in quality to the jeeperman, if any?

I would say none. Jeeperman's quality is outstanding on the two bumpers (one front, one rear) and SWB skidz. The LWB skidz have left a little to be desired, but they were an early design and I hope Jeeperman/Raingler worked out those bugs.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drack as far as your bumper goes, any room for jerry can's, hi-lift mount, or cb antenna?

My Morning Jacket
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB antenna. Hi-lift with some disassembling of the jack, that's about it. Not many bells and/or whistles...mount tire, drive away Wink .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: