Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alarm System for 2005 TJ RME

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoakster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Alarm System for 2005 TJ RME Reply with quote

I am considering buying this Alarm from JCWhitney for my 2005 Rocky Mountain. Any ideas out there on installation difficulty or whether or not this is a good alarm?

Item No. ZX484775X at jcwhitney.com

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000196592/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000196592/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000196592

It seems much cheaper than the alarms at circuit city and specialty shops but I also know "you get what you pay for".
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think alarms are a waste. I don't even arm mine any more...I just use it for the power door locks that I added.

If I were to do another install, what I would suggest is the Crime Guard 745i4 from Crutchfield. Get their wiring harness for your vehicle and it simplifies almost all of the wiring connections you need to make.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Personally, I think alarms are a waste. I don't even arm mine any more...I just use it for the power door locks that I added.

If I were to do another install, what I would suggest is the Crime Guard 745i4 from Crutchfield. Get their wiring harness for your vehicle and it simplifies almost all of the wiring connections you need to make.

Couldn't disagree more...it's just one more deterrent for a would be thief! Now nothing will stop someone that's determined to steal, but I'll take all the deterrents I can get.

That alarm doesn't look too bad, but I prefer dual zone interior monitoring motion sensors, something with a 9V back up battery, something that you can tie hood/trunk sensors into, valet switch, etc.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
ehirner wrote:

Couldn't disagree more...it's just one more deterrent for a would be thief! Now nothing will stop someone that's determined to steal, but I'll take all the deterrents I can get.

That alarm doesn't look too bad, but I prefer dual zone interior monitoring motion sensors, something with a 9V back up battery, something that you can tie hood/trunk sensors into, valet switch, etc.

KnightFire

I didn't look too much at the i4 revision...but on the i3 revision, you could do all this stuff. I have the i3 in my 99.
Hoakster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner, Knightfire,

Thanks for the suggestion. That Crime Guard looks like the ticket. I figure if a real professional thief wants my jeep, he is likely going to get it no matter what I do; however, the a-hole opportunist that simply sees your ride in a lot with the top down and decides to try to open your console or grab your smokes off the dash will get a quick surprise with the motion sensors. I only wish it had an electric shock option that your could wire to the door handles.

Thanks again for your replies, I let you know how the install goes...

Hoakster
bgreiwe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how reliable are the motion sensors on that alarm. My jeep was ripped off on Tuesday night. Hasnt' turned up, don't think it will. So I will be in the market for a new jeep. Between the motion sensors and an ignition kill, a soft top jeep should be pretty protected right? When I buy my next jeep, I will keep this in mind.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreiwe wrote:
how reliable are the motion sensors on that alarm. My jeep was ripped off on Tuesday night. Hasnt' turned up, don't think it will. So I will be in the market for a new jeep. Between the motion sensors and an ignition kill, a soft top jeep should be pretty protected right? When I buy my next jeep, I will keep this in mind.

I disconnected mine shortly after installing it. I couldn't adjust the sensitivity down far enough and it would go into full alarm when someone walked down the sidewalk. But if I approached slow enough, I could reach nearly my whole arm inside the vehicle.

Motion sensors are good for keeping people from reaching into the vehicle and grabbing stuff....at least if you can setup correctly. All the motion sensors in the world aren't going to keep someone from getting in and physically stealing the vehicle.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreiwe wrote:

It really depends on the system, I've had really good success with mine, this is why I like the dual zone systems. You can program the outter zone to 'warn' those that are too close, I set mine about 1" from the glass, this way if someone is peeking inside, they get a few chirps, the inner zone I programmed to go into full alarm mode, shutting down the starter/flashing/lights/etc if motion is detecting more than 2" inside the vehicle.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Scoob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is bettter then this one Smile Just have to find the correct install place for it.

OPEN ME

Scoob
bgreiwe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I looked at crutchfield crimeguard and they don't have a harness for an 01 TJ. Does anyone know how hard the wiring would be? I have installed stereo systems with subs and amps and such but this seems like it could be a very complex install. Anyone have any experience on installing the crime guard without the harness.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreiwe wrote:
So I looked at crutchfield crimeguard and they don't have a harness for an 01 TJ. Does anyone know how hard the wiring would be? I have installed stereo systems with subs and amps and such but this seems like it could be a very complex install. Anyone have any experience on installing the crime guard without the harness.

I've got 'Black Widow' on my Jeep, I'm very happy with it, 'Code Alarm' is another good one, both I think can be purchased from Circuit City. Both have harnesses to mate to the Jeep...

Just a thought

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: