Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

converting 4x4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel_1988

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: converting 4x4 Reply with quote

i have an 86 cherokkee 2.5 4sp can i take np231 out of another and put on my 4sp or what i need to make 4x4 i know where a few parts jeep are most are 6cyl aut though never seen a 4sp 4x4 anyways thanks for help

also planning to do sbc 700r4 swap soon i already have parts i need transfer case ive heard tou can use 4x4 s10 case ?any ideas

86 cherokee 4.5 in lift with 235/75/15 neeed biger tires it sucks
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your's is a 2WD now? In '86 they used the NP207 and the NP228/NP229 t-cases with (in the case of the 4 speed) the Aisin AX4 and the Borg Warner T4. I honestly don't know if a NP231 will swap right in.

In general, to do a conversion, you'll need a front axle, front driveshaft, the t-case, a transmission (or at least the tailcone from a matching 4x4 tranny) as well as the entire t-case linkage assembly.

If you are going to do sbc/th700 swap, why are you worried about putting in a 231 with the existing drivetrain?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daniel_1988

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are going to do sbc/th700 swap, why are you worried about putting in a 231 with the existing drivetrain

becaust that will come later i just need to know what t-case and maybe?tail housing i need would like to use np207
daniel_1988

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one knows huh?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize that this was a question....it depends on which tranny you have. You'll need a tailcone from the same tranny that has a 4x4 tailcone.

So if you have an Aisin, you'll need the 4x4 tailcone from an Aisin. If you have a Borg Warner, you'll need the 4x4 tailcone from a Borg Warner.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: