Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thoughts on preventing spring wrap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: thoughts on preventing spring wrap Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this forum but have looked through it now and then. Let me start by saying a bit about myself and then adding my question. I have been a happy Cherokee owner for 12 years, my first was an 86 with a 2.5 liter and standard tranny. It was still running well when I sold it but I could never get control of the leaky valve cover. Since then I have owned a 94 Grand and 87 Cherokee both with 4.O's and auto. These vehicles have never seen a mechanic besides myself while I owned them, they've screwed up too many times. I recently sold the Grand to my neice and she loves it... so did I, talk about a comfortable ride. My latest buy is a 99 Cherokee with 4.0 and auto. I just replaced the leaf springs because the originals had annoying spring wrap. At this point I'm not looking for more ride height but would like the new ones to last awhile. Is there a good way to keep them from getting spring wrap without losing the on road ride quality? I've seen some articles about add a leafs and ladder bars. Thanks for any ideas.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatley, the reason the onroad ride is so good is because the standard leaf packs are soft....so they will sag over time, leading to eventual inversion and thus wrap. If it's strictly an on the road Jeep, there's not much you can do. Add-a-leafs, ladder bars, etc. will make the ride considerably stiffer.

I'm not sure which set you got as replacements, but there are two types of leaf packs available for XJ's: the standard pack and the towing pack. The towing pack gives pretty much the same ride, but it's much stronger and resists sagging much better than the standard pack.

If you are wheeling it, you can get a set of DPGOffroad bumpstop plates. Basically, they replace the u-bolt nut plates and when the jeep is under articulation, they prevent the leaf spring from over flexing which causes it to wear out quicker. The kit costs about $80 complete.

You can read writeup on them here.

HTH

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: leaf springs bite Reply with quote

Hmm, any thoughts on shocks that have extra push to help the springs keep there arch? The Grand Cherokee setup seems far superior on the rear suspension configuration.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, any shock that is stiff enough to help the spring hold an arch are going to have a bone jarring ride. Comparing the Grand setup to an XJ is comparing apples to oranges...as they are completely different.

If you want to mantain stock height/stock ride and prevent sagging/inversion, the towing duty packs are the way to go.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: springs Reply with quote

Yeah, I realize the 2 suspensions are totally different. I guess I'll just wait until the new ones start to wrap then go from there. Maybe I'll have some extra cash to play with by then and can add some real height to the beast... Very Happy Thanks for the info.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

np. If/when you decode to lift, the choices open up in terms of stronger sprngs that offer great ride quality.

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: