Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antenna questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tune my antennas for channels 1 and 40. If it's higher on 40 than on 1, I need to shorten the antenna. If it's higher on 1 than 40 I need to lengthen it. Doing this will typically get me perfect SWR's in the middle of the band.

As far as the cap making a difference, it's a Firestik thing. None of the antennas I have (Francis, Tigers, etc.) that use a cap have that problem. Everyone I've heard talk about that say it's normal. If you've been shortening the antenna (which would be my guess) shorten it some more and see what happens. The Firestiks I've tuned I always put the cap back on prior to checking SWR's. I've always been able to get them flat (even with some side reflection)...so keep working with it.

Wink
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've checked it about 20 times each time I hook the SWR up to it, and it never goes below 1.4 when the cap is on...no matter how high or low the little screw in the top is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo02TJ wrote:
Thanks! I've checked it about 20 times each time I hook the SWR up to it, and it never goes below 1.4 when the cap is on...no matter how high or low the little screw in the top is.
Huh. ??? Well I'd wonder if some side reflection or something else might be causing that. But nevertheless, a 1.4 SWR is acceptable. I'd leave it if it were me.

Wink
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the ideal setup everyone is after?
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
whats the ideal setup everyone is after?

As far as SWR's, 1.1:1 but 1.5:1 or under is acceptable...at least IMO.

Is that what you are asking? ???
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally speaking you would want an SWR of 1 to 1, meaning absolutley no power loss during transmission. Nice in theory, almost impossible in practice. Practically speaking, like IBTJn said, anything under 1.5 to 1 is acceptable...but the lower the better.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you thats what i was asking...so what happens when you have power loss in transmission? what exactly does that do?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um...you get less power transmitting from the antenna then the radio is putting out? In cases of high SWR, that can actually damage the radio.

It should also be pointed out that transmission vs. reception are two completley different animals. Hearing someone from miles away means absolutley nothing about how your system is tuned...it's whether they can hear you from that distance that matters..

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my cb when people talk most of the time its full of static and hard to make out what they say and even when people dont talk i get a lot of static...i change my squelch and then i dont hear anything not even people talking....

basically i have to constantly move the squelch and people only come in clear if they are REALLY close like 2 miles or under

any suggestions?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a noise filter on the power line? You'd be surpirsed how much of the static is generated by the ignition, alternator, etc.

I don't touch my squelch...I leave it turned all the way up (to let the radio gather up everything) and use the RF gain to cut back the static. I find that I pick up more transmissions that way and it makes the radio much more "hands off".

Quote:
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have a noise limiter where do i get one?
yea i can hear all kinds of noise through the cb, even the door ajar buzzer
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio Shack has a power line filter that goes between the hot line and whatever you attach it to, battery terminal, fusebox, etc. Simply pull the red wire off the power source and attach the noise box on the end of that, and its wire to the power source. Most filters also share the ground plug, although I can't remember if mine has one on it or not.

Bottom line: pathetically easy to mount and install, makes a WORLD of difference to your signal reception. Anything that causes feedback to your CB, i.e. turn signals, power locks/windows, etc..., will be smoothed out of the line to the CB, clearing up your reception. A worthwile investment. thumbs

1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about how much do they run? and i have the radio shack cb like stevo is that a good cb or is there a better inexpensive cb i should get?

i drive back and forth to school at blue ridge so im on 81 everyday and i use it when i go wheeling
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower end ~ $15 - $20

Higher end ~ $45 - $50

I think the RShack is like $15. Low end does a good job of filtering, and obviously higher end does even more.

As far as the Realistic brand, it's pretty much a knock-off of Uniden and Cobra units, so it works fine for what you need. You ain't flyin' down 'de hi-way wit' 18-wheels a hummin', so it'll do you just fine.

1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k ill pick one up 50 bucks is a lot of money for my cb seeing as how i dont use it all the time thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: