Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
89jeepcherokee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE Reply with quote

Hi everyone, nice to join the forums, new jeep owner.

here is the deal.
I have a 1989 jeep cherokee sport with the 4.0 inline 6. Between my yard and the previous owner, it has been sitting for almost 2 and 1/2 years!!

I got it running like a week ago, needed a fuel pump, fuel filter, an oil change, and some antifreeze and it was good to go. It takes alot of cranking to turn over, but i'm really not worried about that.

My problem is electrical.
The headlights work, and they will also switch from high beams to low beams, tail lights work , brake lights work, hazzards will flash, blinkers will not. Windows roll up and down too, however slowly.

Here are the problems (all on the dash):
-everything in the wiper handle doesn't work ie. Wipers, blinkers, sprayer.(except the previously mentioned high beam/low beam switch
-The blower fan doesn't work (it takes a 25A fuse, i noticed it was blown, and i didn't have a 25 on hand, i put a 20 in, and it blew, so that hasn't had thorough examination yet)
- No horn
- No radio
- no back wiper
- No instrument panel lights (however the taillights do work)
- No cigarette lighter
(keep in mind all these things are on the dash)
This is not on the dash and does not work:
-Dome light

Here is what does work on the dash:
-The hazards worked on the hazzard switch (remember they didn't work as blinkers.)
-the blue dash light indicating the high beams work
-One green flasher dash light worked (pass side, i am assuming the other is blown)
-Part time transmission indicator light was on.
-The rear defogger (i am not sure as to the function of the actual defogger but at least the light on the dash comes on)
-The glove compartment light does come on...lol
-The switch for the trannie (power/comfort) has a light that comes on

My chiltons manual covers models cherokee/commanche and wagoneer from years 1984-1998, so you can just imagine how helpful it is....

It has 3 diagrams for fuse boxes, but doesn't even specify what fuse box goes with what model years ECT.
I checked all the fuses in the under dash fuse box, and the only one blown was the one labeled "blower"
Anyway, after going out and writing down all the names for fuses here there are with their corresponding amperage, unless i fudged something up:
ACC - 10
FL/PASS - 15
RR WIPE - 25
BLOWER - 25 (EMPTY) (FUSE BLOWN, REMEMBER?)
ABS IGN - 2 (NO METAL LEADS INSIDE)
TURN/BU(BACKUP) - 20
DOME - 10
HZ/STOP - 15
HD LP DLY (HEAD LAMP DELAY...I THINK) - 25
BATT - ONE LEAD, NO WIRE COMING OUT OF IT
ABS BATT - (NO METAL LEADS INSIDE)
TRANS - 7.5
ANT - 10
PRK LMPS - 10
GAGUES - 7.5
INST LAMPS - 5
POWER - (ONE LEAD) VIOLET WIRE CONNECTED
ACC - (ONE LEAD) BLUE WIRE CONNECTED
HAZ - (ONE LEAD) RED WIRE CONNECTED
HTD WDW - 25

All the fuses that were present were pulled and checked (the only one not present was the blower).
There were also three larger metal boxes present....what are these, should i check them? and how?

I checked the power distribution box under hood, the chiltons manual said that "the fuse and relay identifications should be illustrated on the underside of the box lid". yeah my @$$ it is.

Anyway, there seems to be no fuses under there, but 4 or 5 of those cubes with 5 leads on them....i am assuming relays. Would any of them be causing my nightmares?
Sorry i can't get any labels for those thingies.

Anyway, i am led to believe that the fuse box does have power, because the headlights/taillights/hazzards all came on and they all run through the fuse box. My problem SEEMS to be isolated to most of the dashboard components. Any ideas? maybe a big dashboard ground or something? I'm a little lost here, and before i start ripping the whole dash apart, i was hoping to get some insight on the matter.

if this post would be better placed in general tech, or something, just let the new guy know...

Sorry for such a long post, and thanks in advance for the help.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: power issues Reply with quote

Your best bet is to get a cheap voltage/ohm meter and make sure all the fuses are getting power. Touch the black lead on the meter to anything metal (no paint and attached to the rest of the metal on the vehicle) and the red to the fuses. You should have 12 volts on all of them. If this is good then the battery is grounded ok and obviously you have power to the fuse box. If no voltage then you can ground the black lead directly to the negative on the battery and again check the fuses. You need to narrow down where the issue resides. If you locate a bad area you can use the ohm meter to test connectivity of a wire, 0 ohms is a short and what you should see on a good wire. Some cars have a wire that is meant to burn out when overloaded on the accessory side, not sure if your age Jeep had one or not. The 1x1 inch square plastic pieces in the box under the hood would be relays to run the accessories like power windows. There should be power to at least 1 of the legs on these too. I hope this helps.
89jeepcherokee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanks. little to late to start it today, maybe tomorrow....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: