Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Window regulators

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceMan1959

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Window regulators Reply with quote

How many of you have had to replace the window regulators? Have 2002 jgc Drivers side window regulator went out 300 bucks to replace exactly a week later the rear drivers side went out another 300 out the window,
Any Ideas on why these would go out?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 thread beneath yours. Wink
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5790

I believe the main problem is that the original regulators had plastic gear teeth which have since been replaced with metal gear teeth.
benwj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced my 2001 (WJ) front passengers last weekend.
It looked like the cables had become bound up inside the case that they retract into.
The XJ had a problem with plastic teeth, but the WJ doesn't have these, so although this is a different problem, it sounds like the windows are no better than what they were on the XJ.
2jeeps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: window regulators Reply with quote

Our '99 Grand Cherokee right rear window regulator has gone out too. I plan on picking a used motor up at a salvage yard and either replace it myself or slipping a $20 to the local autobody that I've used regularly. He's allowed that once before for another car, but I wonder how he'll be if I show up again.

If you are handy, window regulator assemblies at the junk yard tend to run 1/2 that of new ones. If you replace it yourself, definitely purchase the detailed manual covering body work from Jeep. I find that the $15 Haines manuals do not cover the disassembly/assembly of the door panel in enough detail. I would not recommend doing it yourself if you are not mechanically inclined as damaging your door panel is not an additional expense you want to add to the window regulator. You can however purchase the part (either from the dealer or junk yard) and pay an autobody to replace it. I would recommend them over the deal, as the dealer will be more expense and worse yet, they do not work on body parts everyday like an autobody shop does.

Good Luck!!! I'd be curious to know how it went if you do the work yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: