Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me "create" the lift for my Unlimted Rubicon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertmoon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Help me "create" the lift for my Unlimted Rubicon Reply with quote

Howdy folks, before I bought this beautiful behemouth I owned a nice little green 95 YJ with a four banger. After mistakenly buying a Dick Cepek lift kit the first time around, on my second suspension I created it from different components and I was REALLY satisfied with the ride, performance and articulation that it gave me. I used Skyjacker Springs, Daystar polybushings, greasable shackle bolts, Tomken Sid plates, Con Ferr shackles with just a bit of boost on the rear set to compensate for rear sag when the suspension wore in ( which it never really did...it always maintained a nice stance ), Rancho RS 9000 shocks on the lowe setting most of the time, etc., etc.

This time around I am working with a Jeep that is ENTIRELY FOREIGN to me. I don't know ANYTHING about TJ's. So here I am with a coil spring suspension, one fixed yoke and one slip yoke on an NV2410R T case, and a skid plate crossmember that hangs down like a dredge boat bucket.....

What I am concenerned about it driveline vibration. Even though I have extremely long drive lines compared to my 95 YJ, I want to tuck that hideous skid plate up with a Tummy Tucker from Nth Degree....I thusely assume that I'll be raising the trans and transfer case about 1.5 to 2.5 inches, there by aggravating driveline angle....now, if that was ALL I was doing I wouldn't be so worried....BUT I also want to raise the vehicle with 4 inches of suspension lift. The rear shaft is a fixed yoke but the front is a Slip Yoke and there is precious little room between the front shaft output yoke and the shift linkage for the tcase....this seems to eliminate an SYE kit...unless some linkage relocation is also perfromed....

what to do...what to do.....

any suggestion????

I am perfectly happy using several components from alternated sources to accomplish this task. Fortunately my father is very familiar with the TJ so he'll be able to help me also.....

SO....if you folks were going to do this and you were going to pick your parts from the long list of available ( or soon to be available ) parts what would you pick and how would you accomplish the tast at hand???

Thanks, in advance, for your time!!!!
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 241 has fixed yokes. No SYE needed. The rear is not a CV shaft though.

I'd recommend the Nth crossmember as you noted. With that, I'd go with coils in the range of 3", like those from Tera, RE, etc and a the JKS 1.25" body lift. Add in the 1" MML for ease of BL install. You don't really need it with the longer rear driveshaft. Get yourself adjustable front and rear trackbars, along with all adjustable short control arms. I'd recommend RE or Currie for the arms. Go with JKS, Currie, or RE for the trackbars.

To battle rear driveline vibes, get yourself a CV shaft for the Rubicon Unlimiteds. I'd contact a Tom Woods dealer (DC4WD.com has awesome prices, call or email) or purchase from High Angle Driveline. You have a couple options with the CV shaft for the 241. You can either keep the stock output flange and harmonic balancer and have a slightly shorter shaft. Or you can replace the flange and balancer with a standard CV-style yoke.
desertmoon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips....I swear that the front yoke from the T case is Slip Yoke....but I cetainly could be wrong. Let me say that it strongly reminds me of the rear output shaft on an AX-5. However the housing ismuch smaller. Edit: never mind, I see and understand now.

Sigh...so many changes and not enough time to keep track!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: