Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaf spring change

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Leaf spring change Reply with quote

I changed the leaf springs on my 91 XJ last night. I had used PB blaster on all the bolts every couple of days for the last 2 weeks. I got all 4 of the upper rear shocks out without snapping them. I have a Reese hitch on it, that I had to take off to get the rear shackle bolts out. The hitch came off easy and the rear shackle bolts did too. The problem I ran into was the front bolts on the leafs. The weld on the nuts that's on the mounting box let go right when I was at the end of the threads, and the box doesn't have any access. I had to torch the bolts off on both sides, then torch a hole in the bottom of the boxes to get the old nut out and be able to put a new one in. It took me about 4 hours total because of the torching and looking for bolts in the garage. My cousin has a garage with a lift and we used a tranny jack to jack up the differential while we took out the old leafs. I ended up getting the new leafs at J.C. Whittney. They had the best price on them. 85 bucks a piece. I also picked up a new set of coils from the local parts store for about 85 bucks for the matched pair. I got new gas shocks all around. I will tackle the coils Friday night. I had so much negative arch on my old leafs that it's up about 3 to 4 inches in the rear. This thing is going to ride like new again.
Big Kev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i did my 99 XJ last weekend and the rear leafs were a problem. i ended up taking a sawzall to the bolts on both sides of the leafs to get them out on the front. the back came out with out a problem. it took a lot longer than any of us anticipated for the back end, but the front went together pretty easily. the PB blast helps a lot. the front end took us about 2 hours with shocks and springs and everything else. the back end took a lot longer. fortunately i didn't have the nut on the inside of the frame rail come off. good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: