Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's tire time...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: It's tire time... Reply with quote

...As it's been since I bought my '00 XJ a few months back. But now that winter is getting ready to arrive, my bald factory tires are getting scary. So I have to do something. Unfortunately, I'm also a college student with no free time and a 40- ish mile one way commute every day. So I cant do anything to extreme yet, now do I have the money or time to try stuff and see what happens. I cant afford to have my truck out of commission at all.

My first thought was to lift it 2-3 inches and throw some 31's under it. Then I was told I could stick 31's under it stock, then heard that I needed anywhere from 3 to 4 inches of lift and they might even rub then. Of course, that also brought up the common lift issues on the 97+ XJs. I'd need longer brake lines, a SYE, and new driveshafts, assuming my steering geometry was okay and I didnt have to screw with that.

So, my next thought was some BFG All Terrains in the factory size, and I could lift it later...until I found the smallest BFG AT's were 30x9.5, which is 'acceptable for street use only', which is just not good enough.

My question is, what can I do? The most time I have to work on the Jeep is Sunday, so it has to be a one- day job with no power tools. I cant afford a SYE or having driveshafts made. So the question becomes "How high can I go on a 2000 model without vibes"?

Assuming I did get vibes, instead of an SYE and new shafts, are there any other vehicles with longer driveshafts and slip yokes that I could grab the shafts from in a junkyard and bolt into my Jeep? What's the height/ flex limit for the stock brake lines? Two inches? No lift at all?

Then there's the tire issue. I'd love some Mud Terrain tires, but the Jeep also has to do about 550 street miles per week, so unless they have really awesome wear, I'm going to have to settle for All- Terrains for now. I cant really afford new wheels (and I dont know how I feel about cutting the fenders on my new truck), so I'm planning to use thefactory ones. Does anyone make a good AT tire in the factory size, or a size I can fit on my factory wheels without rubbing? I'd prefer BFGs, but I'm not sure about the 30x9.50s.

What do y'all think?
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have allot of money go with an off-brand A/T and don't worry about a lift yet, maybe a tire from Pep Boys. 30's do fit stock with very little rub, you may need to put washers on the steering stops to stop them from rubbing the LCA's.

When you lift, no matter what height, you run the risk of vibes. I have a 2", I have no vibes. Drake69 has a 3" '00, he has no vibes, but that is not always the case. Mr ThePhantum ha some bastardized version of a 3" lift on his '97, he's got vibes all over the place.

Last edited by majikxms on Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Foxx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the thing- I dont mind buying good tires, because I need something that will wear very well.
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of money...lifts cost money, they cost even after you buy them and install them. When you lift there is always something that needs changed or upgraded or something that rubs somewhere or vibrates. Tires need rotated, gears need lubed. The more you take it off road, the more stuff breaks from over extended wear and tear. It's a never ending battle. If you don't have the cash or resources to do it yourself, wait until you do to do the lift. Trust me on that.

Foxx wrote:
Well that's the thing- I dont mind buying good tires, because I need something that will wear very well.

If that's the case buy BFG A/T's.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what kind of weather you drive in, but if it's nasty stuff, I'd take a look at the Pro Comp A/T's. I've got a set on my F250 and they do pretty well in all conditions except mud. They've done excellent in rain and snow. But the best part is that I've put 40,000 miles and I've still got about half the tread left. two cents
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, BFG AT's also come in 235/75R15, which is a great size for a stock XJ. I have that size under mine now.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: