Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fluid leak. What am I talking about?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Fluid leak. What am I talking about? Reply with quote

I just noticed a fluid leak from the front of my tranny. Looks like a rear main seal. But, in the dark w/ a not so keen sense of smell, it seems like maybe hydralic fluid. Something w/ the clutch, maybe?

I don't even fit into the backyard mechanic category, so any pointers would be apreciated.

Oh yeah. It's an '01 TJ Sport w/ a man. trans. I only have 23000K on the od. Confused
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably is rear main seal. Mine has leaked since @3000 miles on it. Most everone I know with a TJ has the same problem. Even when repaired by the dealer most seam to leak again. So I just do what my friends do....watch my level and top off when needed. Im not suggesting that it shouldnt be looked at by a dealer if its a problem. Mine just drips small amounts and from what Ive seen myself or read about on many forums...it appears that this is one of those "Jeep things" everyone talks about. Confused

If its the clutch slave leaking, then a givaway would be having to add fluid often. The entire resivour, line and slave dont hold alot of fluid...less than a pint...so if its leaking you will know by the fluid level fairly quick.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW this is my 2nd TJ. My 02 X leaked from the rear main as well. Neutral

Orng Beep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. It is oil. Therefore the rear main. So if I gather this info corectly, don't wast my time and money getting it fixed because the odds of it happening again are good? One more Q. Does the leaking oil affect the clutch in any way? My old Jeep Owners Bible makes a small reference to extra wear on the clutch plate. Aside from the fact that my book is old, finding answers in there is about like looking at the sun for the time on a cloudy day. Are there any respectable destrution manuals out there?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said dont just let it go cause I said so. If you dont think a dealer is the way to go check with some other Jeepers that can actually look at whats going on and give advice.....better safe than sorry.

If the oil does get to the clutch, over time it can cause some slippage. The oil can coat the friction disc and cause glazing which leads to slipping and wear. If it is the rear main seal the oil will leak down the opposite side from the clutch. The flywheel or starter ring seperates the oil leak area from the friction disc. So the friction disc shouldnt be getting bathed in oil. In general it should only see a small amout of oil over a long period of time.

But now for the 3rd time....have someone knowledgable take a look at it for you, just in case its something more.

WhyJay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would take it to the dealer, and get it fixed under warrentie. If it still leakes after that go back and tell them that they did a botched job have the do it again for free
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: