Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off road lites on the ZJ Roof

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Off road lites on the ZJ Roof Reply with quote

I have some off road lites i would like to mount on the roof rack but because i drive alot during the week if there was any way that the mounting brackets could be removable that would be great

any one have any advice or ideas?

thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a wireing harness from a boat trailer so you could unplug them and the plug will be sealed if you get the good one with the flap thingy...

Then you just slide off the rack and unplug it...

Bam...Good to go..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you think the stock roof rails will hold big lights? how many would you recommend puttin on it?

thats a good idea i didnt even think about the trailer plug
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would atleast hold 4 of the round hella 500 style lights. That's just my guess though

My Morning Jacket
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 4 KC highlighters on mine but I had to take two pieces of square tubing and run it from the front to the back to keep them from wiggleing... The factory rack is a little wobbly..

But that makes it easier to take it them off.. BOth of the racks can come off at once and you can even put your spare up there and look all cool and stuff... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

I also used to keep my Hi-lift up there...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mounted two of the kc 5x7 rectangle lights and they do very good...surprisingly the roof rack didnt move..of course i havent hit any low hanging objects yet....

these lights are bright i have a sun roof and with the lights on my interior is bright enough for someone to read a book....haha if they can focus with all the bouncing around rofl
grandjeeper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kool. has your stock rack held up alright
you got me think bout doin that to mine, instead of buying a roof rack.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea instaed of drilling in my original i went to the junkyard and picked one up off the same year zj just the slider piece...cost me 10 bucks measured evenly so i could fit 4 in the future used a small bit and reeemed out the hole...its aluminum so its not hard to do...just tilt the drill and move it in circles...so far its doing good....it does however create monster drag on interstate but i made it so i could unplug the lights and slide off the rack....
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
i made it so i could unplug the lights and slide off the rack....

Boat light plug????

Worst case scenario your rack gets loose from the added drag.. Then you go to lowes and get 2 pieces of 1" spaure tubing and bolt if to the front rack and then tightly to the back rack that way the two are connected and it will stabilize the lights ... This also works very well as a high lift Jack mount.. And if you want the spare tire goes up there pretty good..
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not the boat plug...that was like 15 bucks for all of it and i would have needed 2...so i got some bullet style connecters for 5 bucks used them and they click on and unclick off with out any problem

yes they do create monster drag...since its my DD i made it so i could slide them off when im not on the trail works very well but i will more than likely use the tubing as a brace so if something does hit them it wont mess up the rack
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: