Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motor Mods

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Motor Mods Reply with quote

Now that I figured out that I'm getting better gas mileage that I thought I was, I was wondering if anyone has done any modifications that are good bang for the buck. Bolt on type stuff like an MSD box, maybe a free flowing intake system or computer chip.
I know jeeps won’t set the streets on fire, but I do want it to get out of it’s own way with some dignity.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor Mods Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
Now that I figured out that I'm getting better gas mileage that I thought I was, I was wondering if anyone has done any modifications that are good bang for the buck. Bolt on type stuff like an MSD box, maybe a free flowing intake system or computer chip.
I know jeeps won’t set the streets on fire, but I do want it to get out of it’s own way with some dignity.

Go with the old proven performers, header, intake, and exhaust. I tried the Hypertech PP, it leaned my Jeep out too much due to the above mentioned mods. Look into AEM, Borla, K&N, Banks, etc for reputable systems and bolt-ons.

I have a K&N intake and Borla header/exhaust system.

Stay away from 'chips' and they don't make an ignition upgrades for our year of 4.0L.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor Mods Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
Go with the old proven performers, header, intake, and exhaust. I tried the Hypertech PP, it leaned my Jeep out too much due to the above mentioned mods. Look into AEM, Borla, K&N, Banks, etc for reputable systems and bolt-ons.

How much performance gains until it's proven?
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor Mods Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
KnightFire wrote:

How much performance gains until it's proven?

LOL, was waiting for someone the chime in Razz I think I'm the black sheep for this particular topic on this site...LOL

Actually I was referring them as proven performers in the general sense of modifying motors with bolt-ons. These are the usual suspects you shoot for when you begin the search for more power.

As it pertains to Jeeps, well I don't have dyno numbers if that's what your looking for...but I do have 31" tires, 1" BL/MML, drive daily 102miles round trip at 80mph and get 18/19mpg. I also out leg my friends 4.0L Jeeps all the time, not that I blow their doors off or anything, but there is a definitive and measureable difference in power and they are used to reading my rear license plate Smile

FWIW...

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor Mods Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
LOL, was waiting for someone the chime in Razz I think I'm the black sheep for this particular topic on this site...LOL

You're probably the black sheep with respect to performance mods on more than just this board.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor Mods Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
KnightFire wrote:

You're probably the black sheep with respect to performance mods on more than just this board.

Hardly, every other site I belong all recognize the benefits of such modifications. This entire back and forth on the subject of bolt-ons only comes up here...

However, this is the only Jeep board I frequent. The others deal with F-bodies and Hemi trucks. I guess that the basic logic that applies to those motors, couldn't possibly apply to the 4.0L motor as well... Finger

Smile

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part though the bolt on's work at high RPMS, I doubt that you are getting the rpms that high doing 80. I know that if you bore your engine and supercharge it, then you'll def. gain more power.

My Morning Jacket
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what works on a V8, Hell I built the motor in my Nova, and all the items you listed are the most common places to find HP gains on a V8.
I'm just not comfortable with inline 6 and fuel injection, not that I'm afraid of it.
There just doesn't seem like there much to be gained without going internal on these motors.

That’s disappointing that MSD doesn't make a box for the I6 that’s' one thing I was really looking to do.

I do have a K&N filter but not the FIPK or what ever that thing is, and I do want to install a Flowmaster or a V-Force muffler.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or hey...toss the I6 and put a Ram Jet 350 crate motor or even better the 383 stroker with EFI OOOOOHHHHH! now all I need is $7000 for the 383, $2500 for the EFI, $500 for the adaptors and $1000 for all the other hoopla! I'll just refinance my house, take 20 grand out and do it!

F that

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
For the most part though the bolt on's work at high RPMS, I doubt that you are getting the rpms that high doing 80. I know that if you bore your engine and supercharge it, then you'll def. gain more power.

My power band is in the 2000-2800 RPM area. However, it no longer falls completely on its face after 3k RPMs, it does certainly hit a wall, just not as bad as it did when OEM.

The RPM band in which max power is achieved is determined (via intake/exhaust mods) by the flow, velocity, and volumetric efficiency.

I do agree of course that boring/stroking and using power adders is the only real way to obtain results while using the OEM block, however we're just talking about bolt-ons here...so of course the gains of bolt-ons vs that of adjusting internals and/or using power adders belong in a different conversation all together...so let's try to keep it in the context of the original question.

TJ Apex:
I like the way you think! In fact that's exactly what I'll be doing when/if I can kill the I6, LOL.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I live in the smog capital of America (Southern California). It would be interesting to see if a Crate motor would be smog legal. The 350 Ram Jet would most likely have best chance of passing with the EFI from the factory, But it would be nice to have all 435lbs of torque, and whip some Honda ass too. That would be fun...I got the Nova for that.

I think I'll stick with the simple stuff for now.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
lonejeeper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Motor Mods Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
KnightFire wrote:

I'll second that. Similar opinions on Jeepforum.com, ItsaJeep.com, JeepsUnlimited.com, RubiconOwnersForum.com, JeepAholics.com would get you labelled a 'black sheep'. The nice guys will simply reply 'snake oil'

lj
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Motor Mods Reply with quote

lonejeeper wrote:
ehirner wrote:
KnightFire wrote:

I'll second that. Similar opinions on Jeepforum.com, ItsaJeep.com, JeepsUnlimited.com, RubiconOwnersForum.com, JeepAholics.com would get you labelled a 'black sheep'. The nice guys will simply reply 'snake oil'

lj

*sigh*

once again I say..."I guess that the basic logic that applies to other motors, couldn't possibly apply to the 4.0L motor as well... "

I guess that means that performance mods are "snake oil" on other motors as well....rofl.

Thats fine, think what you want...I've got more than enough dyno/track time to know what does and doesn't work. I'm quite pleased with what I've done to my vehicles...do what you want with yours.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know every little bit helps, I have a Nova that runs mid 12's. about 8 years ago I bought a cowl induction hood with a cold air box that sealed around the carb, before I put the hood on I was running 12.8 sec. in the 1/4, now it runs 12.5's. .03 sec. may not seem like much, but that’s almost 20 hp gained from cooler air alone.
Carb spacers, ( or throttle body spacers) atomizes the air and fuel better making the combustion more efficient making more torque, HP and fuel mileage.
If MSD made an ignition system for the 4.0, I'd buy it in a hart beat, a better spark means more fuel burned in the combustion chamber, also means better gas mileage and more HP, that also means that it would pass a smog test easer.

It seem to that everyone concentrates on there suspension systems but not there motors, some will spend $2,500 on suspension to go up a rock better, why not spend a couple hunred bucks to make your motor more effcient. “ it’s not worth the price for just a few HP”. With some parts that’s true, but if you do as much research for your motor that some do with the suspension, you might make it up that rock a little easier and that extra can of gas some guys carry may go to the guy that thought it wasn't worth it.

Optimize everything, Because the factory compromises.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
guesswho369

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of headers and exhaust - I had the hop put a Magnaflow bolt on with a 2 1/2 inch pipe and Banks Torque tube headers on my jeep. The pipe leading from header back however scales down to 2-inch, and I'm still using the factory converter. The guy at the shop insisted that if I ran 2 1/2 inch all the way I'd lose back pressure. Is anyone else running 2.5 all the way? It's a 97 4-cyl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: