Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Reverse - Tranny Fluid Was Low... 1998 Grand Cherokee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramblin Randy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: No Reverse - Tranny Fluid Was Low... 1998 Grand Cherokee Reply with quote

Howdy neighbors... first time here... love my Jeep.

Anyway my 98 Grand 6cyl automatic ran a little low on tranny fluid. It works fine in all forward gears. It just suddenly stopped going backwards when in reverse. Being two quarts low I'm sure will haunt me... need to keep an eye on that small fluid leak.

More info... when placed into reverse I can hear the drive shaft to the rear wheels ingage, there is a slight bit of movement and then nothinging happens. I filled it up with tranny fluid, left it sit for over a day, and the jeep moved a wee bit better in reverse for a few seconds. Attemping this again immediately I was back to where I started with but a hint of movement.

Is this a filter issue ? Since purchase of this well maintained Jeep I have not done a tranny tune up and plan on fluid change this week if that is recommmended. Jeep just turned 200,000 miles, mostly highway, zero offroad.

Thanks in advance,
Ramblin Randy
leblancr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Ditto Reply with quote

My son's jeep also had this happen. He must have hit something, and it sprung one of the coolant lines loose enough that it started leaking intermittently. When I noticed it, I crawled under it and wiggled the lines and fluid squirted out. I clipped it back in and the leak went away.

It was down just under 2 quarts. I don't know how long it had been going down. His does exactly as described in this. If you put in in low range reverse works fine.

His is a '94. 5.2L. Full time 4 wheel drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: