Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

s-10 leafs + zj front coils, Which shocks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NiX94XJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: s-10 leafs + zj front coils, Which shocks? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm trying to put together a "budget lift". I was browsing the site a couple days ago and found a bunch of info on which springs to use, but I cant seem to find what shocks.. Anyone know which shocks to use? Or how long they have to be? I'm Planning on using the main leaf from my xj and the rest from an s-10 or dakota, and front coils from a zj with 2" spacers. Does that sound right? Thanks for your help, this is a great forum!
Foxx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, you may have an extreme amount of rear lift in relation to the front. I know some folks have used a whole S-10 pack in the rear and gotten 6 inches of lift or so, where the ZJ coils only offer about an inch, which with your spacers, would be about 3 inches of lift. You may need to play with exactly how many leafs you use out of the S-10 pack to even it out.

For the shocks, just measure. Get to an RTI ramp, forklift, or solidly built staircase, and drive up it until the suspension is at the very limit of it's travel. Then just measure between the shock mounts at the most stuffed corner and the most stretched corner. Those are the open and closed lengths you'll need. Some guys have put bottle or floor jacks under their axlesand jacked them up to do this, but hopefully your suspension can outflex a run of the mill floor jack. Very Happy

Good luck!
NiX94XJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I was hoping to get some actual known lengths, but I suppose i'll just use the hoist and lift her up, measure the shocks and add on the ammount of lift i end up with? I'll figure somethin out. Thanks!
NiX94XJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, my buddy has some 3" coils out of his old explorer. Anyone know if they'll work in the front of the jeep?? Thanks again.
badger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you won't know what size shock till you have the lift on the truck and know exactly how much lift you end up with.you don't have to flex it out to figure out what length shock either.measure the distance while on flat ground .the figure out how much up travel you want .say 4 inches of up travel.so if you have 18 inches on flat level ground now minus the 4 inches of estimated up travel.so you would need a shock that is 14 inches under compression.most charts will give you compression and uncompressed lengths.

measuring the distance under flex is no good because of the front end having a floating front spring .the front will exhibate more flex then allowable.if you were to measure in this way you stand a good chance of buying a shock that is to long and has no room for up travel.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: