Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intermittent 4WD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Intermittent 4WD Reply with quote

My 88 XJ is having a difficult time staying in 4WD. Ive checked the vacuum lines to the front axle. There is a strong vacuum in the two lines coupled together. The lone line does not seem to have any vacuum in it when it Part Time 4WD is engaged. Where could I find the specs for expected vacuum in each line during nominal operation?

Also, the Part Time dash light does not always tell the truth. It comes on before the front axle is actually engaged and will flicker while 4WD is on. At times it turns off well before the front axle disengages...

If all is well with the vacuum is there a way to check the actuator itself?

Thanks!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An FSM would definatley tell you what the vacuum levels are supposed to be (it would also tell you how to check the actuator)...a Haynes or Chiltons might, but I'm not sure. I'd tell you what it's supposed to be, but Cryco did away with the vaccum disconect axles in XJ's around 91...so mine doesn't have it. As far as the light, I don't believe that it's triggered by when the front axle is engaged...I think it's tripped by a sensor on the t-case lever.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Service Manual Reply with quote

The Chiltons I have does not mention what to expect at the actuator as far a vacuum.Ive looked online for a service manual for my XJ, but with very limited results. Is there a recommended source?

I've taken the Jeep out for a series of drives in dirt alleys and have re-seated the vacuum lines on the actuator. The front axle now engages, but the light never comes on. I'd like to get the light working, since I have a hard time telling when the front axle is in (I can only tell by the wheen hop/skip during tight turns on gravel)...maybe this will be cured by experice, but for now it would be good to have an indicator.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine through http://www.techauthority.com, which is basically Chrycho. Yours might be harder to find since it's a little older. A quick google search pulled up this hit:

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/manual.html

Failing that you can shop around on eBay...you can usually snag one pretty cheap there.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: low fluid Reply with quote

mine wasent engaging properly cause of low fluid. also check your tire pressure , there is a sensor in the t case that might need to be replaced i forget what it is called sorry
HooterXJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar problem with my 91 XJ. Assuming the vaccuum lines are good:
- Check how well the vaccuum harness fits onto the actuator stems on the axle. On mine, the rubber was deteriorated slightly, and a few loops of electrical tape around the stems gave it a nice tight fit.

- I took the actuator off of the axle which was very simple, turned it over, and water came pouring out of the assembly. Water intrusion had done quite a bit of damage to the inside of the actuator.

- Opening the actuator was a pain, but it revealed the true problems. I had to pry the metal lip up that holds the casing together, but was careful not to damage it. Once inside I found the rubber diaphragm that forces the piston in and out with vaccuum pressure. The rubber was in terrible shape so I cleaned it up and used some silicone to recondition it. Once I cleaned all of the rust off, lubed the assembly, and put it all back together, it has worked like a champ since.

- If the diaphragm has any leaks on your actuator, it could be causing the erratic behavior (just a theory). I've got the full-up service manual at home, I'll see if it has any other specs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: