Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shock Mounts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Shock Mounts Reply with quote

I will be installing new shocks in the very near future as mine are still the originals! Do I need to purchase the shock mount conversion to use any aftermarket shocks? Also, what shocks do y'all prefer? I don't have any lift currently?

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a lift, you don't need to do any conversions. Gabriel, Monroe, Rancho and others make stock replacements.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
badger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget to spray down the bolts with some kind of penitrating oil several days before with several applications.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea! I almost forgot about the PB Blaster!

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
jimmyhasajeep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing to keep in mind is hardcore rust, my car's only 5 years old and my uncle who's a seasoned mechanic broke one of the bolts on my rear shocks becuase it was so rusted, i bet that spray that you guys were talkin' about will fix that though...

2000 XJ 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084616
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the upper rears can be a PITA...even with PB Blaster. If you've got access to air tools it will make it a lot easier. Otherwise, expect to break at least one bolt. There are two solutions if you do break one:

1) Drill/tap them out from underneath
2) Cut into the rear decking and drill/tap them out from the top

Option#1 seems easier - until you've done it once. Then you'll realize how much easier it is to drill it out from the top.

Even if you do not break bolts, put anti-seize compound on every bolt you put back in....that way it comes apart much easier next time. Wink

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ILLXJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you break one of the upper bolts, knock the weld nut off w/ a punch or an air chisel. Then feed a new bolt in from the top & put the nut on the bottom where you can get to it next time. JIM.
________
free vaporizer

Last edited by ILLXJ on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
badger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILLXJ wrote:
If you break one of the upper bolts, knock the weld nut off w/ a punch or an air chisel. Then feed a new bolt in from the top & put the nut on the bottom where you can get to it next time. JIM.

you got that right.i don't understand why people cut through the floor to get those nuts.a 5 pound maul(small sledgehammer) and a punch has always worked for me.there are two ways to refasten the shocks after doing this.take a piece of wire and tape it to a bolt then fish that up and out of the old bolt hole.second is take a box wrench put the nut in the closed end of the wrench .take a match or tooth pick and wedge the nut into the wrench with it.now you can use the wrench to reach up in the crossmemeber.

i know i have a pretty big hand and can still fit it in the pie shaped section of the crossmemeber and reach the hole so the steps above are only if you have hands that are to big to reach.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always just found it easier and quicker to cut into the deck, cut or chisel the old nut off and weld a new nut in in there. You don't have to wrestle to get a new nut/bolt in and, if you put antiseize on the new bolt, you'll never have a problem getting them back out.

But not everyone has a welder, so drilling them out from the top is easier since you can make sure you are dead center in the nut. Agian, doing it that way (and using antiseize) makes sure you don't have to wrestle with it in the future. Wink

Quote:
jimmyhasajeep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shocks are a bitch. i was half way through replacing one and i went mud boggin' and it broke off at the top (only one bolt was holding it), to top that off, my car's going in for servicing (my mom wants it checked over before the warrenty wears off in like a week) muddy and missing a shock...

2000 XJ 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084616
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: