Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

31" Spare Tire will not mount on carrier

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Glad I still have a YJ, My 33x12.5s fit just fine on my tire carrier. Finger
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 31's are on my stock wheels.

I don't know how these tires will fit on the stock tire carrier? They hit the bump stops way to early & stop the wheel/tire from going back far enough.

I also finally put the wheels/tires on the jeep using the stock wheels & they rub like crazy. I'm not really sure how others got them to fit, but I sure rub Sad

Tim
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WannaBJeepin wrote:
The 31's are on my stock wheels.

I don't know how these tires will fit on the stock tire carrier? They hit the bump stops way to early & stop the wheel/tire from going back far enough.

I also finally put the wheels/tires on the jeep using the stock wheels & they rub like crazy. I'm not really sure how others got them to fit, but I sure rub Sad

Tim

Trust me, crank down the lugs on the spare as tight as you can get them. Use a long breaker bar for more leveage if needed. I had a 31x10.5R15 on my stock 15x8 alloys on my stock tire carrier.

The rubbing on the ones mounted to the axles is often a minor problem. Add a washer or two under the steering stops. This will cut down on the turning radius a very minor bit, but you'll keep the tires out of the control arms.

I could have sworn somewhere we had a pic of the steering stops and how to add a washer...but I can't find it. Here are some other threads on 31s on a stock TJ.
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4913&highlight=steering+stop
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3585&highlight=steering+stop
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3475&highlight=steering+stop

EDIT: Found it on Stu Olson's website, a great resource for Jeep modifications. www.stu-offroad.com

Navy-Jeepster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed 31's from a 2006 Rubi with no problems. I did use the wheels and tires from it also. So, not sure if that is what helped to eliminate any rubbing.

Here are pics of my jeep when the wheels and tires where first installed, and then with the lift on.

Navy-Jeepster
Gold Digger
TJgirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 31 spair fits just fine on my TJ, fully inflated, I agree just tork those bolts down, mmm
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got my spare on. When I took the spare off & looked at the metal plate that the spare mounts to (with the 3 bolts sticking out of it) I noticed where the two bolt holes are located that don't have bolts through them. I then thought hmmmmm I wonder if I can drill those holes, stick longer bolts through them, and use them to bolt the tire on. So I tried it and it works.

So now I have some washers on the 3 bolts that came on the carrier with a nut to hold them in place. The spare then mounts up against them as if they where the metal plate. It also pushes the tire up against the rubber stops on the door. Since I used washer to space the nuts out, I could adjust how far out the nuts where so the tire could make contact. Now if I ever break down and buy 3 more lugs, I can put them on the remaining 3 studs. I may have to take a washer off each stud, but I think it would work, and would help to protect the threads on the 3 studs.

It cost $3 or $4 for the washers, 5 nuts, & 3 bolts. Not bad & it works. If the spare was any larger, I would need something different so it would clear the bumper & break light, but as it is, it fits great Smile

Thanks for all your help. Now I just have to adjust the bump stops & let me tell you, those bolts are welded on I think. Plenty of rust and no budge so far. I know someone posted they ground the lip off the suspension are some so they wouldn't rub. How much do you think that weakens the suspension arm?

Tim
www.miataman.com/jeep
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it on...but I'm telling you that it fits without any modifications. Just crank them down. I tried looking for a pic online to show that it fits...but no dice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: