Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CB Radio mounting

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: CB Radio mounting Reply with quote

Is there anywhere to cleanly mount a CB radio to where it doesn't look stupid.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted mine on the driver's side of the center console. It's very close to my transfer case shifter.

My Morning Jacket
RustyBrown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably already know this but if you are willing to spend the cash you can get a console overhead or on the floor with mounting spots for a cb. tuffy makes them.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going the route with the tuffy overhead console. I really like haveing my cb and radio protected from the elements and thiefs

My Morning Jacket
cleaver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a cb and want to put it in myself. I have never installed one and have zero experience with anything electrical. Does any one know of a tech page I can look at while I do this? Thanks.
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
I'm going the route with the tuffy overhead console. I really like haveing my cb and radio protected from the elements and thiefs
I got the Tuffy overhead console last Feb for my birthday; so far it has been working out pretty good. I've only had a couple of problems with it. Sometimes the compartment sticks when you pull it down to adjust your radio and the fabric tab to pull it with just ripped off on mine. So far that hasn't been a big deal, I can still get the compartment open. Also I'm sure I could fab up something better to replace the nylon pull tab, just haven't done it yet.

I got the overhead console with the two compartments; I plan on putting a speaker for the CB in the second compartment so I can here the CB better.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like its design and can't wait to install it!

My Morning Jacket
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a bunch of pics of Jen's someplace...here the one I can find right now.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: ` Reply with quote

Here's a few more...these were all taken during installation, so they are before I mounted the mic clip on the side of the console. Still, you get the idea.

That's the two compartment model. Tuffy makes a single compartment console as well.

Jen2Goofy wrote:
I plan on putting a speaker for the CB in the second compartment so I can hear the CB better.

TRANSLATION - I'll be installing an external speaker in the second compartment shortly so she can hear the CB better. Looks like I'll be stopping at The CB Shop off exit 104 this week. rofl

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scoob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the look of the Tuffy overhead but I have heard alot of people say the "rattle alot". Others say they have no problems at all. Have you had any problems with that?

Also did yours come with a footman loop or any way to hook up the bikini top since the tuffy takes away its normal spot?

Thanks and it looks nice in your jeep.

Scoob
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problems I've had are the ones I listed up above.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CB is small enough to fit where the three switch blanks are ( the three black things above the lighter ) does any one know what’s behind the blanks or would there be enough room? And if there is enough room, that little section looks as if it’s pretty solid, how would I be able to remove it without destroying it?
thanks
Jasper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CB Rack, worked good for me, but I have a hard top and a garage so security was not an issue. I bought it direct from the manufacturer, but you can check them out with Mesa 4x4. Google them both and you'll find it.
95sahara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
My CB is small enough to fit where the three switch blanks are ( the three black things above the lighter ) does any one know what’s behind the blanks or would there be enough room? And if there is enough room, that little section looks as if it’s pretty solid, how would I be able to remove it without destroying it?
thanks

That blank is removed simply by popping out the trim strip above the dash (where the defrost ducts are), removing two screws out of the top of the center stack cover, popping the center stack cover off, and then removing the four screws that hold the switch blank plate in. I seriously doubt that there would be enough room back there for a CB though, and I don't know how you would be able to mount it there either. But it's worth a shot!
PICS
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after about an hour spent on removing the center section of the dash, I found there is no way to mount the CB where the switch blanks are. It's close though.
The air ducts that are directed to the floor would prevent the radio from mounting correctly, and if I were to mount it as it is, the radio would stick out of the dash about 1 1/2 or so. But that's the only thing in the way. It could possibly be done if I were to cut in to the air duct, but there's no way I'll do that.
Thanks for the info on the dash, The info was perfect.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: