Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Longer a pitiful STOCKER!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've (as in I did it myself with some help from Stacey Very Happy ) already replaced my front bumper, so it's strait again, and I have instilled a steering box skid and an engine skid.

Steve did my front brakes this weekend and he should be finished up with my rear bumper this weekend.

Next I'm hopping to get a locker for my birthday. If I can get the money together I want to get some 33s and some hockey pucks to add to my suspention lift. But I have a feeling the 33s will not happen until next year.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me....I'm going to a 6", long arm suspension and 33's. The kit has been ordered and now I'm shopping for tires. After it's all installed, I'll measure for and order the SYE and Tom Woods driveshaft.

I won't be regearing right away...but I will eventually. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shotgun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a reply to an older part of the thread.

no matter what RE says you can install the bolts from either direction. I swapped in shorter bolts and "pinched" lock nuts. I did not care for their mounting direction on the bolts.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no matter what RE says you can install the bolts from either direction. I swapped in shorter bolts and "pinched" lock nuts. I did not care for their mounting direction on the bolts.

You mean you threaded bolts from rear into the Flange and Nutted them behind flange (actually closest to the Transfer case) ?

Is that what you meant by "Pinched" lock nuts? The flange is tapped so if you did the nuts would sort of lock it in. I contemplated doing that but chickened out and followed their instructions. Too bad they didn't include that tidbit in their included sketchy installation instructions!

I will be so bold (yet give him appropriate credit for), as to borrow a phrase from THE PHANTUM he normally reserves for Jeep designer/builders RE folks are a bunch of #%^&**@! Circus Clowns!
shotgun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some lock nuts that as you look at them appear oval. they don't use the nylon ring to lock, so they are thinner.

Yes I threaded the nuts on between the tcase and flange. I've done this twice. My wife blew up my 207 so I replaced it with a 231. The H&T was installed by professionals the first time so I just did the same thing they did.

In retrospect, I like the fact that to loosen up the bolt hast to work the nut loose and then through the yoke. Yet their method would make lining everything up right easier.
Nessie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: No longer a pitiful stocker Reply with quote

SWEEET. crazy jeep drool Very Happy Smile
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my gas tank today! I now have the full 20 gallon gas tank I am supposed to have. Paragon modified my original tank to about 12-14 gallons instead of 20 and had messed up fuel guage sender in tank. I was able to reuse it and it seems to work ok!

Amazing it never sprung a leak!

I was really dreading this job but i guess it went better than I expected. After I changed the gas tank I tried fitting the used Gas tank skidplate and was bummed because the new exhaust and the Hitch bracket was in the way of it but a BIG wrench moved the newly welded exhaust hanger out of the way enough and I unbolted two bolts on hitch and mounted gas tank skid and then replaced bolts and bent exhaust hanger back into place!

I have a a gas tank skid now!!!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good mod

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (surprisingly) managed to get my Lock Right installed in my rear axle today.

It was my intention to just get a head start and at least get it drained and opened up.

I learned several things during the installation.

1.) A 8.25 Chrysler IS in fact a C Clip style axle! (Duh!)
2.) Powertrax's Instruction photos SUCK!
3.) Once everything is covered in light grease (per instructions) it is a royal PITA!

Still not as hard as I imagined!

I have not road tested it yet as I am still waiting on my Lube Locker gasket order to come in Wednesday!

I plan to install front tomorrow or Wednesday afternoon. The front should go much smoother! I almost understand what I'm doing now!

1992 XJ Laredo
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a DOPE I was to expect the Lock Right installation in front axle (Dana 30) to be easier than the rear Chysler 8.25!

I got it in today, but it envolved removing front brakes, hubs, and axles so I could remove the differential from housing to install! SUCKED!

My Ring Gear was too thick to remove Pinion Gear Shaft while it was still installed! Had to remove it and then remove the Ring Gear.

I am hoping my axle bearings are still ok! There is a SLIGHT Chance, I may not be ready to go on Saturday if I run into any difficulties tomorrow when I replace both axle covers (installing lube locker gaskets and Cover skid guards) and filling them with lube and road testing.

I am hoping for the best but all the confidence I had built up on rear locker came back to bite me today! I am humbled!

I HOPE it is all ok, but . . . Will see tomorrow evening I guess?

1992 XJ Laredo
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm on the road!

After filling up both pumpkins, I was a bit nervous backing out of the garage and hearing some pretty odd sounds initially (I have read it happens when new lockers seat themselves) and a wee bit of handling differences but I would hazard to guess that now all is well and test drive felt better than I imagined it would with both axles locked but this is/never was to be a daily driver and it clicks a bit but nothing I can't drown out with radio! (Which I need to replace next along with installing a CB.)

I will drive to/from (I hope) to work tomorrow for a bit of a longer test drive but all systems look like a go for Saturday's April Fool's Day run to Shoe Creek! Seems a fitting name for my test/trail ride after ALL of my mods in past winter!

I am going to take my chances with thePhantum ("I ain't scared of no ghosts!" or "Back off man, I'm a scientist!" OK enough quotes from Ghost Busters!) and double-post this!

1992 XJ Laredo
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HD Cross Member I ordered (but not installed yet) was from

http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com

1984-2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee HD Crossmember NEW!

"Brand new for your 1984-2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee is this Heavy Duty crossmember! This thing can take some abuse! Made from 3/16" Steel and is an exact replacement for the stock crossmember."

1992 XJ Laredo
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. The search sucks on that site though. I can't find it on there. I poked around for awhile and still couldn't come across it. Got a part number and/or manufacturer name?

Quote:
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it must be NEW.

I couldn't find it on site either but found it on their ebay store. (Search ebay (HD Cherokee Crossmember ?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-2001-Jeep-XJ-Cherokee-HD-Crossmember-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33727QQitemZ8052927551QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It was expensive (I guess) $143

Let me open it up this afternoon and see if I can tell who made it?

I am not going to be able to install it until "maybe" week before Paragon (if then?)

I leave Friday afternoon for week in sunny Florida!

Heads-up: most hydro shops require a couple weeks lead time to get a tank hydro'd and filled!!! Don't put it off too long! They usually will not do it while you wait or overnight.

1992 XJ Laredo
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun in FL. Very Happy

Maybe we could do a wrenching party that weekend. I want to get Jen's locker in and we could do your crossmember in the other bay.

Let me know.

Oh yea...I'm dropping the tank off today at a welding supply in Ashland. Should be a 1 or 2 week turnaround. Mr. Green

Quote:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: