Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

01 wrangler sport error code

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreiwe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: 01 wrangler sport error code Reply with quote

On my 2001 TJ, my little check engine light came on. I took it to Advance auto to get the code ran and it came up with:

P0456
Evap Emission
Control System
Leak Very small

The person told me that it was the gas cap not being tight. I talked to mechanic friend of mine and he said that is what the auto store people say when they don't know. If this is the issue, will the light go off if the cap is fixed. Is there any other way to figure out what is wrong with it w/o paying a stealership? Are there any other ideas what this could be? Thanks
JeepGal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 01 wrangler sport error code Reply with quote

bgreiwe wrote:
On my 2001 TJ, my little check engine light came on. I took it to Advance auto to get the code ran and it came up with:

P0456
Evap Emission
Control System
Leak Very small

The person told me that it was the gas cap not being tight. I talked to mechanic friend of mine and he said that is what the auto store people say when they don't know. If this is the issue, will the light go off if the cap is fixed. Is there any other way to figure out what is wrong with it w/o paying a stealership? Are there any other ideas what this could be? Thanks

The gas cap answer is probably right. Thats a common code for that. Give it a few hundred miles to reset itself.

Tam Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bgreiwe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, hopefully it will in the next couple of days
bgreiwe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so since this happened last wed, I have put probably 350 miles on it, Had to drive up to DIA from the springs. The light has not gone off yet. Does anyone else have any ideas or shoudl I wait longer
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, disconnect your battery for about 5 minutes. You'll have to reset your radio stations too.
Very Happy
Here's a link to the codes and their meanings : http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2719
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
JeepGal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, about resetting by disconnecting the battery...If you need to get your vehicle smogged for your registration, dont do this without giving it a time to rebuild its history. They will turn you away until there is more information stored.

Tam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bgreiwe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to get my emissions at the end of this month. How long of a history do they usually need? Will this stupid light cause me not to pass?
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do you live? if your close enough, i have a nice mac scantool/reader tester. i can retrieve your codes and clear the check engine light.
i'm in milwaukee wisconsin
________
vaporizer forum

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since his location says Colorado I don't think that would work, well unless he's willing to drive

My Morning Jacket
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas cap would be the most common cause. If that's not it check the vacuum lines that run from engine bay to the fuel tank. Chyco actually released a TSB on it in 2000 (#18-01-00) because dealer mechanics would just replace the LDC (leak detection pump) without checking the vacuum lines first. Once you get it fixed the light should go out on it's own within 100 or so miles.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops. minor detail. sorry
________
BMW M70

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreiwe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:52 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oops. minor detail. sorry

I appreciate the offer, I will check the vacuum lines too because it has not gone off yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: