Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At Wits End, NO OD & Rough Idle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dent Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: At Wits End, NO OD & Rough Idle Reply with quote

Alright fella's I have been an avid searcher for my xj tech problems. And everything I have tried has failed I will give you the whole story to see if you can't figure it out for me.

First 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0, 131,000 miles, 6 inch lift, Rhino lined, Bushwhackers, 35's. Anyhow, I was driving down the interstate just rolling along when I realized I wasn't running in OD when I should have been. If I tried to accelerate around 75 to 80 mph the jeep would jerk really hard and then continue on down the road. It felt like it was trying to shift and then changed it's mind. Did that for awhile and then I read that it could be the TCM so I fiddled with that and I got OD for awhile but not long. So then I replaced it and once again I got OD for awhile but not long. Then I discovered that if I was to turn the key off and then back on after 3+ seconds that it would reset something and I would get OD for the rest of the trip. Until I shut it off again. Well now it won't attempt to shift into OD at all and it is shifting hard into third and I have to play with the gas to even get it into third. ON top of that when I am at Idle it will fluctuate between 450 and 1500 RPM's and if I were to turn the steering wheel while at a stop sign it well even go so far as to stall the engine. I am in desperation for any idea's I have Plug's Wires, and Rotor Cap coming tomorrow. I have replaced the TCM, TPS, & NSS, I have also changed the tranny fluid and put a tranny cooler on. I am running out of options here and I hope someone can ale my sick XJ.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The symptoms sound like the ECM is putting it in "limp in" mode. It's basically a condition where the ECM realizes (or thinks) that it's getting erroneous info from it's sensors and runs on a set of defaults. The major symptom of that is the loss of 3rd gear and/or OD.

It should be (or at least normally is) accompnaied by a check engine light.

When you replaced all those sensors, did you disconnect the battery for at least 30 or so minutes?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dent Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. I think on the 98's the limp mode just gives you first and third gear and I know that it shifts into second just fine. I will try to disconnect the battery tonight though. thanks for the input. I was just getting frustrated with none of the solutions working.
Dent Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My check engine light is on and has been on since. but also between that time my fuel gauge has gone crazy and my speedometer has gone crazy. I can just turn the key on and the speedometer will just bounce from 100 to 0, it is so sparatic that I think it is the ground but I don't know where to locate it. also I have changed the speedo sensor too.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limp in mode should be the same from 97-99 (the ECM's are the same on those years). My 97 has gone to limp in a few times. Whenever it did, it would shift into 2nd and 3rd, but not OD and the engine RPM would fluctuate fairly wildly.

It could very well be a ground problem causing the ECM to "freak out", but if the check engine light is on, I'd pull the codes first and see what comes back.
Checking OBD Codes

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dent Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to pull the codes off. I know that there is atleast 4 or 5 on there. but none of the techniques worked for me. I got the digital Odometer to run through 111111 to 999999 but after that it didn't post anything.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: codes Reply with quote

Some parts stored like Advance Auto Parts will pull the codes for free in hopes that you buy parts from them. Call around to see who will in your area. You may have 1 issue that makes multiple codes show up.
Dent Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: CODES!!! Reply with quote

Alright guys here is the codes that I pulled today.
all ENG codes

150 Fuel Level Voltage HI

26/PO122 TPS Voltage Low

183/PO1495 Leak Detect Pump Solenoid Circuit

137/PO700 EATX Fault Present
(Tranny Computer has a problem)

18/PO443 EVAP Purge Solenoid Circut
(Not Completing the Circuit)

I hope someone can see a connection between all of or some of these codes and lead me in the right direction. I am just running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Thanks guys
Dent Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?!?! here's another pickel for you guys. when going around a right hand curve, and only a right hand curve the jeep will jerk like it looses power for a moment. and it will do that every 3 seconds or so depending on how high my rpms are
HooterXJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had almost identical transmisson symptoms (including no OD) in my XJ about a year ago, except mine happened in left turns. I suspected a TCM problem and checked all of the wiring on the terminal connector going into the module. The dealer put some dielectric on the terminal and called it good, but the problems came right back. I left the TCM dangling down in the passenger side footwell from behind the dash instead of reattaching it to its intended location, and I'll be damned if it didn't fix the problem. As long as I left the module hanging there - no problems whatsoever. It makes me suspect that the wiring bundle has some issues tucked in behind the dash, but I guess I'm too lazy or superstitious to look into it any further. I assume the '98 TCM is in the same place..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: