Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Killer shake / Vibration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllanAlxndr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Killer shake / Vibration Reply with quote

Alright so after having the Jeep for awhile I have this shake in the steering wheel/jeep pretty much that is now driving me crazy. Had the tires rotated and balanced and checked to make sure everything was tight underneath U-joints are fine.

What should I look into next. Bought the Jeep used, dude said there was a 2" lift on there.

Thanks.

@@
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it "feel" like it's coming from one side or the other at all? What kind of speeds does the shake develop at and/or does it get worse with speed or stay the same? What year is it? How many miles on it? Has it been aligned recently? How old are the shocks, steering stabilizer? Yada, yada, yada. When you say u-joints, you mean the drivetrain joints, the front axle joints or both?

Last time it happened to me it turned out to be the LCA bushings "enchanced" by a sticky brake caliper...making the point that it could be anything under there.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AllanAlxndr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'95 XJ Country
89K miles

Sorry, starts at around 45-47ish and lasts only when you remain at that speed. If you accellerate right though it its hardly noticable. Speed up and cruise at 50 its gone.
Can't really tell what side its coming from.
Brakes & rotors just replaced yesterday.

Noticed that the bushings on the trac-bar are alittle worked. I'll try and swap those out.

Not sure on the alignment, Probably not.

Shocks and steering stabilizer all look to be fairly new and in good condition.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Jeep has done it since you've had it or it started recently?

Honestly? It really comes down to a process of elimination. From the description, it sounds like something in the front end (as opposed to a driveline vibration)...a bushing, a heim joint, a ball joint, etc. I'd start with the bushings since they are the easiest to spot a problem and usually the cheapest to replace.

I know you just had it done, but have the tires balanced again. I've had tires balanced and picked up or still had vibes. Then had them balanced again and the problem clears up.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: shake Reply with quote

check your steering staiblizer ,
suppafly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Violent front end shaking! Reply with quote

hello,

i saw your post and i am experiencing something similar with my 89 cherokee laredo, when i get up to speeds of 45-65, the front end will suddenly start to shake violently... however i cant just accellerate through it, i have to reduce my speed to about 15mph until is stops, then i can keep driving... its made my jeep undriveable on the freeway and i HAVE to find out how to fix it...

i took it to my mechanic and had him tighten all the joints and whatnot, balanced the tires, etc. it helped a bit, but it started doing it again under a week later. My mechanic says that his next gues would be to replace the steering gear box, but i know that gets a bit pricey so i wanted to see if anyone had any similar experience/suggestions... please let me know

~Suppafly
luvthatsound40

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last time it happened to me it turned out to be the LCA bushings "enchanced" by a sticky brake caliper...making the point that it could be anything under there.

Where are the LCA bushings located?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each LCA (actually, all 4 control arms) has a bushing at each end. The frame side and the axle side.

Quote:
leets

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a search on "Death Wobble"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: