Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CB suggestions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_dubya

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: coax Reply with quote

Ok, I have an antenna and it has the coax permanently attached to the bottom of it, problem is it only has about 2-3 feet of coax on it. IT does have a male end on it, so will it hurt my signal any if I just get a piece of coax to go from it to my radio? Otherwise I have to spend $20 plus shipping to get a new base with a longer cable on it. Waddaya think?

'98 TJ SE
15x7 ProComp Series 51 Rock Crawler Wheels
31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: coax Reply with quote

el_dubya wrote:
Ok, I have an antenna and it has the coax permanently attached to the bottom of it, problem is it only has about 2-3 feet of coax on it. IT does have a male end on it, so will it hurt my signal any if I just get a piece of coax to go from it to my radio? Otherwise I have to spend $20 plus shipping to get a new base with a longer cable on it. Waddaya think?

Not really enough info' to say either way. If it only has 3' of coax with it, I'd wonder what the rest is like. Confused If things are truly that tight for you, I'd be looking at the K40 again, and what bracketing I could make (fabricate) to make it work. If the K40 base load looks like I posted before, the only thing you'll need to do it get it above the body/tub of the vehicle for decent performance. The SS stinger (4' or so) will flop around, but who cares? It'll take hits just fine.

There is no such thing as an invisible antenna...in spite of what JCWhitney tries to peddle with their POS "Secret CB Antenna that foils vandels and theives."

Wink
el_dubya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

Yeah sorry, i am talking about the k40. The coax doesnt screw into teh bottom of the antenna, it goes into the base and from there i can't see it so i assume it is permanently attached to it. I have made my own bracket that gets it above the tub so i thought id try it, dont have anything to loose. So my original question, can i just attach more coax to it or should i order a new base for it with more coax on it?

'98 TJ SE
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: more info Reply with quote

el_dubya wrote:
Yeah sorry, i am talking about the k40. The coax doesnt screw into teh bottom of the antenna, it goes into the base and from there i can't see it so i assume it is permanently attached to it. I have made my own bracket that gets it above the tub so i thought id try it, dont have anything to loose. So my original question, can i just attach more coax to it or should i order a new base for it with more coax on it?

Theoretically, yes...you can do that. Or rather, no reason not to try it. Worse thing that will happen is it won't work. Wink

I'd recommend keeping the microphone key ups (transmissions) to a minimum though until the standing wave (SWR's or tuning) can be checked with a meter. That will help protect the radio some in the event things aren't okay.

Good luck.
Wink
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long would it take to fry a radio? and does recieving wiht an antenna that hasnt been swr harm it in anyway?
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
how long would it take to fry a radio? and does recieving wiht an antenna that hasnt been swr harm it in anyway?

Receiving won't damage your radio at all...no matter what the SWR's are. Transmitting is what damages the final relay. But most newer quality radios have thermo limiting devices in the finals nowadays which will shut down the transmit in the even of over heating. Make no mistake...it's hard on the finals, but they are fairly cheap to replace anyway. So to answer your first question, it really depends on how bad the SWR's are, and the quality of radio you are running...in conjunction with how long of key downs you are doing. I'd be purely guessing, but I'd think someplace around 10 minute key down would take them out on say an older GE, SBE, Cobra 25, Midland, etc. Probably longer on the newer radios.

I talked with my wife one day on the way home from boating (she was following me) but I forgot her antenna at home. She talked (about 5 seconds per key up) to me all the way home (which was about an hour) and I heard her fine. But I wouldn't recommend doing that. She had my Uniden Pro510 in the XJ at the time...the same one I now run in my TJ. No damage. Very Happy

Wink
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks for telling me that i know that it can damage just didnt know how long it would take
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can buy a PL-259 connector to connect two pieces of coax...go to your local radio shack.

(IBTJn do not flame me...This is from my experience with the many antennas I've experimented with.)
As for the 102" SS Whip. I love it. Nothing beats its looks, or performace. I was talking 15-20 miles barefoot the other night! 1fox2go and I were on the Skyline Drive here in Virginia, and we were even with Milemarker 100 on I-64. I-81 is exit 87....going to I-81 alone was 13 miles.

Harrisonburg Va. is at Exit 243 on I-81.

We were talking to truckers at Milemarker 239. If you did your geometry homework, you'd find out using the pythagorean theorem that those distances gives us about a 22 mile Hypotenuse.

I have two SS whips, and I let me friend run one. We consistently talk 15-20+ miles with barefoot radios with SWRs of 1.3:1 or less!

------------------------------

As for your mount question, go to Arizona Rocky Road and buy their mount that puts it on the rear door of the TJ. I have this mount and it works great!! I've also used the ball mount, and find that the weight of anything over 3 feet will angle the antenna back due to wind drag.

I agree with 1fox2go and IBTJn about the radio itself. But do not try to go to Wally World. They don't even have the proper coax. Also expect to spend at least $45 on a brand new radio.

NOTE TO PHANTUM: What tire carrier is your wife running? The STOCK tire carrier is held on by 6 1/2" bolts. There are no rubber bushings holding the stock carrier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo02TJ wrote:

(IBTJn do not flame me...This is from my experience with the many antennas I've experimented with.)

Now that hurts me rofl Why in the world would I flame a thing like this? Absolutely! In fact, if you someday try the 5' 1-1/2 Wave Tiger, you might be surprised. I used to go park on the hills all the time and...uhm, make new friends? eyebrows It's fun. I can tell you stories of things we've done over the years that were scary, fun, hilarious, and the list goes on. SS whips work great! no argument from me on that. And I agree with everything you mentioned. I think your ideas are good ones. thumbs

Wink
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are YOU laughing at ME?!

I'm sure the tigers are great, I've heard a lot of good things about them. For some time, I was leaning towards the Predator 10K but decided it would be too big for my antenna mount.

Thank you for the compliments. Ever since I decided to upgrade my Antenna, I've been trying to learn as much as I can about anything and everything radios.

el_dubya: How is the mount holding up? What is the SWR with your coax? The connections can cause a small loss in signal strength, etc. Keep us updated!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo02TJ wrote:
Are YOU laughing at ME?!

Not at all. Wink I just didn't realize I was such a tool

rofl
el_dubya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo02TJ wrote:
Are YOU laughing at ME?!

el_dubya: How is the mount holding up? What is the SWR with your coax? The connections can cause a small loss in signal strength, etc. Keep us updated!!

Haven't gotten very far with any of it. Goin to the lcoal cb shop to get some stuff tomorrow, may be after Christmas before I get anything installed. School eats up so much time... Don't worry though, when I get it all done I'll give ya'll the details and how it works. Maybe a couple pictures if I can get ahold of a digital camera.

'98 TJ SE
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTJn wrote:
Not at all. Wink I just didn't realize I was such a tool

Ok, we both know I was joking there, I know you were laughing at me. But...I think it's time you stop getting laughs at my expense. Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: