Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gearing down 93 XJ...4:56's or 4:88's?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Gearing down 93 XJ...4:56's or 4:88's? Reply with quote

I just picked up a 93 XJ with a 4.5" lift and 32's already on it. It still has the stock D30 and D35 axles. I'm pretty new to these trucks, and dont know much about jeep drivetrain yet.....

I'm going to be hitting the Rubicon Trail and other related trails a couple times a year, other than that, it's my daily driver. I'm trying to decide on a good ratio that's low enough for rock crawling, and am still able to cruise about 60-65 or better on the freeway. Are 4:56's or 4:88's something i can use with the manual tranny? If not, what is?

I've heard bad things about the D35 rear axles being too weak, but I've also had Jeep guys tell me that they hold up alright if you're easy on em, and dont put a true locker in em. Mine's a posi right now and doesnt seem to have a problem in the small rock sections ive already done. What are some of your opinions on the 35 axle??
Ive heard good things about the D30 frt axle...as long as you dont lock em up....and do the manual hub conversion, which is very expensive....

also, Will the D30 and D35 accept a larger 4:56 or 4:88 ring gear?? or do you have to replace the carrier? if you do, where can i get them and what other vehicles can I get them out of?

I'd really appreciate any info , thanks
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearing down 93 XJ...4:56's or 4:88's? Reply with quote

JtotheEEPxj wrote:
I just picked up a 93 XJ with a 4.5" lift and 32's already on it. It still has the stock D30 and D35 axles. I'm pretty new to these trucks, and dont know much about jeep drivetrain yet.....

I'm going to be hitting the Rubicon Trail and other related trails a couple times a year, other than that, it's my daily driver. I'm trying to decide on a good ratio that's low enough for rock crawling, and am still able to cruise about 60-65 or better on the freeway. Are 4:56's or 4:88's something i can use with the manual tranny? If not, what is?

I've heard bad things about the D35 rear axles being too weak, but I've also had Jeep guys tell me that they hold up alright if you're easy on em, and dont put a true locker in em. Mine's a posi right now and doesnt seem to have a problem in the small rock sections ive already done. What are some of your opinions on the 35 axle??
Ive heard good things about the D30 frt axle...as long as you dont lock em up....and do the manual hub conversion, which is very expensive....

also, Will the D30 and D35 accept a larger 4:56 or 4:88 ring gear?? or do you have to replace the carrier? if you do, where can i get them and what other vehicles can I get them out of?

I'd really appreciate any info , thanks

There's a discussion going on right now on axle options. http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6159

If you do a search you'll find more threads like that one.

My opinion? The D35 is a turd...but if you are easy on them they will hold up. I would not put a lot of money into one though. Again, that's my opinion.

4.56's will be just fine for 32's...might even be a bit of overkill on the road...but it will definatley crawl. As far as the carriers you will have to replace them (the cutoff point is 3.55's). Anyplace that sells the gears should also sell the carriers.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info.....i really want to invest in a d44 rather than a d35, but the local wreckers want 900 to 1000 bucks for a 44. so i'd be real lucky to come across one out of a parts truck for anywhere near 500 bucks. I might just end up investing in my 35 and being real easy on it. appreciate all the help, thanks again
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's insane. Check around on naxja.org and jeeps unlimited. They usually go for between $3-400 I found mine on JU for $300. I just had to drive 100 miles up to Maryland to pick it up.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: