Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help a newbie please!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDUKE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Help a newbie please! Reply with quote

Hello,

I just bought a 1998 Cherokee Classic with 118,000 miles on it. The problems I am having are:

1) Can someone link me to a picture of the fuse block layout diagram for the vehicle.Mine is missing and I do not want to pay the dealership $29 for it,nor can I find it in the junkyard.My horn does not work and the airbag light stays on so my next choice is to replace the fuse.If it isn`t the fuse can anyone else point me to another possible reason.

2)When I turn the wheel I hear a load popping sound(not my cv`s) and can not figure out what it is.Anyone have any ideas of where to look?
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultra cheap version----pull one fuse after another till you find the one that's bad.

second cheapest---to to parts store and buy a hanes or chilton manual. i think they have diagrams for the fuse block, but i'm not 100% sure.

can you describe the poping a little better? on left turns/right turns, when standing still, slowly rolling, highway speeds, in 2wd or 4wd, etc..
________
herbalaire

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RDUKE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
ultra cheap version----pull one fuse after another till you find the one that's bad.

second cheapest---to to parts store and buy a hanes or chilton manual. i think they have diagrams for the fuse block, but i'm not 100% sure.

can you describe the poping a little better? on left turns/right turns, when standing still, slowly rolling, highway speeds, in 2wd or 4wd, etc..

I own the Haines and it doesn`t show the fuse layout.I`m going to look at a Chilton this week.I was just hopeing that someone could point me into a faster direction.

The popping sound occurs when the wheel is turned wether moving or still.I think that it is coming from the box that the steering column runs into.I just hope that it isn`t something so serious that I can`t a few weeks til I can have my mechanic check it out.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: airbag light Reply with quote

Hello, I had a Chrysler van that made a clicking sound when turning the wheel. The noise was heard from the steering wheel. The airbag light also came on, it ended up being the clock spring in the steering wheel which they replaced for free because it was a safety device. I think there was also a re-call on it.
RDUKE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,I had alot of typo`s in my last reply.

JeepinNH, thanks for the reply.That might be the reason for the non -working horn but the popping sound is coming from under the car near the bumper.I`m going to havemy mechanic look at it next Friday so I hope it isn`t anything serios.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have somebody you trust, start it up and have them turn the steering wheel while you're near the front so you can try to pinpoint what's making the noise. If you don't have anybody you trust, find somebody you dislike, (ex-wife, mother-in-law, etc) and have them lay under the jeep while you turn the steering wheel. You can pop the clutch while they're under there, but have a good excuse when the police show up. Anyway, also check for anything loose including your steering gearbox.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: