Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DJ5 steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r6guy07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: DJ5 steering Reply with quote

Didn't know where to put the DJ5 question, but this is for jeeps through 86... so Smile

Just got a new to me 1974 Dj5 right-hand drive. 4wheel drive, and 3 inch lift. but the steering sucks. I have about three inches of play in the wheel. anyone know how I can tighten up to me maybe even 1 inch of play. something that i have a little control over lol.

Pat

Jeepin it
r6guy07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone at all? Confused

Jeepin it
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i actually had the same problem. i installed a new steering wheel because my old one was taken off when i bought the car and i didnt know how to put it back on so i bought a brand new grant wheel and column on ebay. it didnt seem to fit properly so i had about 3 inches of free moving space like you do. so i eventually looked up a diagram to put the old wheel back on with the stock column and now everything is fine. so do u know if your wheel is after market? if so try switching back to stock. let me know
AZ_Mopar_Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This typical with SAGINAW steering. There are two options depending on your skills. One is to replace the lame connecting points in the steering system under the hood with a home made version using u-joints or two just go to one of the companies like flaming river and buy a better shaft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: