Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do i do with the Track bar and sway bar after lift?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NiX94XJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: What do i do with the Track bar and sway bar after lift? Reply with quote

Hey all, Just put what I thought was a 4 1/2" lift in the jeep this weekend. I bought rough country coils off ebay, got some s-10 rear leafs and skyjacker shocks.. I put the rear in first figuring that would be the difficult part. I just used the jeep main leaf and overlaod, and spare leafs from the s-10. When I went to put the front coils in I was having a B*tch of a time getting the new springs in.. The trac-bar wouldnt let the axle drop down enough, so i unbolted that and still was having troubles. using a spring compressor and a huge prybar got teh springs into place. i put the wheels on and lowered it down only to discover that it was almost 7" higher in the front! And the trac bar wouldnt even come close to bolting up.. So after alot of late night contemplating we decided to cut a coil off the springs little by little untill it was down to size. Anyways, the trac bar is now bolted up, but doesnt have alot of travel left to it, and cant even come close to bolting the sway bar up.. Do I have to buy an adjustable trac-bar? Longer sway bar links? Any suggestions?
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know that I would have cut the coils, but you have do what you gotta do right? In the case of the sway bar - Its not crucial that you have it hooked up, it reduces flex on a trail, but improves road handeling and body roll on the street. I would look at some JKS quick disconnects and get those in there. The trac bar however is crucial to get it set right. A trac bar is what keeps the axle centered and keeping it from walking side to side (since it is a four bar or four link setup in the front) I would recomend you buy an adapter bracket to move the mounting point up, or buy an adjustable one. Either way it has to be done, and done correctly. Other wise your axle is going to walk around on you and its going to be a bad deal.

Lost in Wyoming....
CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
NiX94XJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'm well aware the effects of not having a sway bar.. I was thinking of fabbing up some longer links and making my own discos since theres a full blown machine shop in my garage. And after doing some looking last night, I found a trac bar mount from Rustys that looks like it drops the trac bar down a bit which is all i need really. It bolts up and works good right now, but if i were to artic the right side would bottom out on the trac bar and I dont really want that! Has anyone used the Rusty's trac bar mount?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: