Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help decoding the vehicle ID plate on my '78 CJ5?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Help decoding the vehicle ID plate on my '78 CJ5? Reply with quote

Hi all, decoding my '78 CJ5s VIN is no problem using the info I've found in my Chiltons manual. What I'm trying to decode are all those other groups of numbers found on the ID plate on the front firewall. Ideally I'd like to find out what the original color was for this vehicle, if thats at all possible as there seems to be about 8 coats of paint on this baby... EVERYWHERE! Shocked I've seen where the '81 to '86 plates have one number group which refers to paint....... but so far I have not been able to find out anything with the older ID plates. This is my first post on this site and I'm looking forward to sticking around for more info as I bring my baby back from the dead. Thanks!
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to get my scanner working tomorrow, but look for a two digit code above the VIN and towards the center of the plate. It should be one of the following:

G7 Alpine White
6D Sand Tan
6P Firecracker Red
6R Brilliant Blue
6V Sunshine Yellow
7B Mocha Brown Metallic
7C Autumn Red Metallic
7E Oakleaf Brown
7L Loden Green Metallic
7M Golden Ginger Metallic
7W Captain Blue Metallic
7Z Sun Orange
8C Quicksilver Metallic
J1 Pewter Gray Metallic
P1 Classic Black Clearcoat

These are the codes for 1978. If you go to http://www.paintscratch.com/ they have samples of each.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info Code3....... I doubled checked and there is a number directly above the VIN number in the middle of my ID plate. It is '99'. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to match up with any of the paint codes you posted. Ahh, the mystery continues... Confused Any more info you can send my way will be much appreciated. Thanks again. Steve.
tomthbomb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Tugboat,

I sent you a p.m. about your post.

I have a 1978 Jeep CJ shop manual that will decode all the numbers.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: