Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying new Engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonzalo Medina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Buying new Engine Reply with quote

Have plans to purchase new 242 I6 for my 93 cherokee, who is a quality distributer and reasonably priced? Checked out ebay and they have a few for $1.300 there company's I never heard off like titan engines. If any one has experience with this company your feedback would be appreciated, don't want to have to go to kragen or auto zone.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: motors Reply with quote

Personally I think you'd be better off with a used one that was from a crashed vehicle. At least you know how many miles are on it and can usually hear it run, a rebuilt is totally unknown for previous mileage and you don't know how good the components they installed are. Could be mostly aftermarket stuff. The stock motor is so good you can buy a used one with 100k and have it last many years with standard maintenance. A friend of mine got a rebuilt 2.8 for his Pontiac, it threw a rod within 3 months... was covered under warranty but the rebuilt couldn't get out of it's own way powerwise. Just my 2cents...
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasper engines is usually a quality distributor. The name escapes me right now, but if you want something a lil' more powerful, there's a company out there that will build you the 4.6L stroker!

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
ajpulley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renegadestang wrote:
Jasper engines is usually a quality distributor. The name escapes me right now, but if you want something a lil' more powerful, there's a company out there that will build you the 4.6L stroker!

You're thinking of Clifford Performance... extremely helpful on the phone. I was going to go with a Jasper after comparing all that I found, but a buddy was at the time the service manager at a Jeep dealer, so... If you can afford it, add the Borla header (they make Mopar's). If you can really afford it, then call Clifford, http://cliffordperformance.net/. I also added a homemade Mapp adjuster and a K&N filter. Not a muscle car, but plenty of power as compared to the old engine, especially for the dirt. Thought about having the throtle body bored larger, but never got around to shipping it out. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: