Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voltage and starting problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewey962

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Voltage and starting problem Reply with quote

This is a sudden problem and I need help. When trying to start my 97 TJ 4.0 it just made a clicking sound. I turned the key to th off position and tried to start again and had no power anywhere. Tried jumping battery and nothing. Push started it and drove home. Turned it off and it started right up. No problems for a few days. Then while driving the voltage meter pegged to 19 volts. Turned into parking lot and shut off engine and had same problems starting it. Let it sit for a minute and it started right up. No problems for a couple days. Then this morning same prob. Voltage meter pegged at 19 and engine died moments later. No power to anything not even the four way flashers. Let it sit a minute and started right up. Any ideas?!?!?
daddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just had similar problem (won't start) with my 97. I tried lots of things. IBTJn replied and said change/check battery cables. My lead from + battery terminal to the fuse box on the fender was corroded at the battery terminal. I suggest using a good set of jumper cables and hooking only one side (reds or blacks) to make a connection from the + battery terminal to the fuse box attachment. This will jump over any bad connection in your lead. If you start, change/repair your lead. I also took apart and cleaned all my ground connections with a wire brush (firewall & motor from battery and the strap from the motor to the frame- just behind the alternator). Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: