Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why such bad mileage?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_dubya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I get about 19 MPG in my 04 TJ Reply with quote

ekimyelbom wrote:
When I replaced this one tire I had the tire shop fill up all the tires with nitrogen instead of air. That cost about $20 total and saved about 1.5 MPG. ....... In addition to all of this, try putting Royal Purple in your front and rear differential. It will take at least two bottles total, costs about $15 and gives you at least 1 MPG.

Wait a minute. Nitrogen in your tires helped MPG? How do you explain this? I know NASCAR uses nitrogen because it reacts less to heat than does air, but I can't see it improving MPG. Was this just on a tank or is it consistently? When you got the new tire, were they the same model or different? A less agressive tread will catch less air= less resistence. Also, the Royal Purple I have heard of helping. Reduces friction better than other oils, or so they claim, never used it. As for the nitrogen.... I'm still curious/skeptical. Confused

'98 TJ SE
15x7 ProComp Series 51 Rock Crawler Wheels
31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitrogen is lighter than air and its molecules are also larger which means it takes less to fill up a tire
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
nitrogen is lighter than air and its molecules are also larger which means it takes less to fill up a tire

Just don't get near power wires...Remember the Hendenberg

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
guesswho369

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that was "hydrogen," bud Mr. Green
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... My wife said the same thing, OOPS

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
quadna71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:

well, i know that a nitrogen atom is about .3nm in diameter....but can you tell me how large an "air" atom is?
chris
guesswho369

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are killing me. I've decided to forget about the little things and install an off-the-shelf flux capacitor coupled with a consumer fusion generator in the back of my jeep. No more milaegae concerns! rofl
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go spending too much on nitrogen, remember that ~75% of the atmosphere is composed of it. It's inert so you're less likely to see pressure fluctuations. But, if you're going to go that route, remember that if you air down, how are you going to fill it back up with pure N? Anyway, if you decide to go that route, check with local motorcycle shops and/or truck stops to see if they'll do it cheaper. Or just go buy the flux capacitor. rofl
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a slightly used flux capacitor for sale. It's only time traveled three times and was slightly damaged during 10 milllion BC by a T-Rex.
I even have the box that it came in.

$500 or best offer rofl

My Morning Jacket
guesswho369

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any pictures? I'll trade you six camels...
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekimyelbom wrote:
When I replaced this one tire I had the tire shop fill up all the tires with nitrogen instead of air. That cost about $20 total and saved about 1.5 MPG. Not only did it help with the ride but also the gas mileage.

1fox2go wrote:

You both are morons. Tell me what makes up about 3/4 of "air". Let me help.
http://www.mistupid.com/chemistry/aircomp.htm
saharatj98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard nitro was not practical for street use because it leaks out faster over time than air. Plus is there is not moisture in it and it is lighter... I'd put nitro in the gimik catagory. It does do some things, but not enough to make it worth doing. The Purple does help some too, but then again, it is only a little. The wear is the biggest advantage to using it. Ignition boosters, air intake (hurricanes) and magnets you stick on your fuel line to improve mileage are a joke. They can say it does help because it does, but .001 % is not enough to sell it so they make claims. Best thing to do run the engine at the optimal rpm/power range as much as you can. Proper gearing and driving habits help here. Tires make a difference, aggressive tread, weight and air pressure. Keeping your engine in tune and keeping the air filter CLEAN. Lugging the engine or raping it will reduce the efficiency of the engine. When I say "optimum operating range" it is where the engine produces most of it's power. Usually manufacturers will gear their cars to be in this range around 55mph in 5th for economy standards. Unfortunately the poor 2.5 is one of the most in-efficient engines ever made. 125hp out of 2.5L is a joke and so is the mileage. It is what it is.... My .02 cents
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saharatj98 wrote:
I heard nitro was not practical for street use because it leaks out faster over time than air. Plus is there is not moisture in it and it is lighter... I'd put nitro in the gimik catagory. It does do some things, but not enough to make it worth doing. The Purple does help some too, but then again, it is only a little. The wear is the biggest advantage to using it. Ignition boosters, air intake (hurricanes) and magnets you stick on your fuel line to improve mileage are a joke. They can say it does help because it does, but .001 % is not enough to sell it so they make claims. Best thing to do run the engine at the optimal rpm/power range as much as you can. Proper gearing and driving habits help here. Tires make a difference, aggressive tread, weight and air pressure. Keeping your engine in tune and keeping the air filter CLEAN. Lugging the engine or raping it will reduce the efficiency of the engine. When I say "optimum operating range" it is where the engine produces most of it's power. Usually manufacturers will gear their cars to be in this range around 55mph in 5th for economy standards. Unfortunately the poor 2.5 is one of the most in-efficient engines ever made. 125hp out of 2.5L is a joke and so is the mileage. It is what it is.... My .02 cents

That's true, if I air down, I don't want to drive 40 miles to my nearest Cosco with my tires at 12 PSI(only place I know of that does nitrogen) to refill the nitrogen that would cost me $20 every time I air down, when I have a perfectly good air compressor in my gagage.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
saharatj98

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on board air:) only way to go
never lost

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not getting bad gas mileage. You need to change your speedometer gears. The original speedometer gears will not clock with your new tires due to the factory settings. If you know your tire size, ring and pinion you can buy speedometer gear that will correct the problem. It will cost about $25 from Quadratec. It will fix your speedometer and odometer. I thought the same thing with my jeep. A friend told me about it. I replaced the speedometer gear and it fixed the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: