Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cb cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: cb cable Reply with quote

how much does it cost per foot? where can i get some?

any particular brand i should consider?
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure per foot...but www.alfenterprises.com has some good deals on coax, antennas, and mounts. i have a new 18' length of RG-8x on the way to my house right now.
chris
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: cb cable Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
how much does it cost per foot? where can i get some?

any particular brand i should consider?

Most any of your name brand truck stops (T/A, Pilot, Jubitz, etc.) will have it. They seldom sell it by the foot anymore...unless you can find a Ham radio outlet close by. Most of them will sell complete 18' sections with PL-259 connectors on both ends. I typically just cut off what I don't need...like one of the connectors. But it's not that much if you can find it by the foot. I think like $.30some cents per foot...for the RG-8x (mini Cool....which is what is preferred and works the best. Beldon makes some okay shielded stuff, in case you find brand names.

Wink
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im asking because my cable is old but works now if i got new cable would it help things or stay the same?

thanks for the replies
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your SWR? There's no real sense in changing the coax unless you know that there's a problem. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been told that the coax must be a particular length otherwise the SWR will can not correctly tuned.
You want the shortest length to get the job done of course, but you transmission won’t go very far. If I remember right 13ft. Is a magic length.
And if possible, if you have to cross a power wire, be sure to cross at 90deg. never run a coax alongside a “hot” wire, your power wire gives off a RF signal that may affect CB transmission.

A small radio and a whip antenna could go as far as 10 miles or better depending on terrain(mountains and buildings are bad for distance).
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The myth is 18". By the math, at 18', where the cable meets the antenna, the voltage curve has dropped back to the zero point...creating a null cable. If you set your CB system up properly the length of the coax means nothing.

Also, while it's good practice to cross power cables at 90 degrees, if it's a high qaulity cable with good sheilding, it's also irrelevant.

Distance in transmission, will depend on a lot of factors...weather included. There are days I can't get out more than a mile or two...and there are others when I'm talking to truckers 15 miles away. All the while my SWR is sitting at 1.2 on channel 19....oh and I have around 12' of cable too...so much for the 18' myth. Wink

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the radio means nothing. A $40 Radio Shack cheapo with a well planned and high quality coax/antenna system will outperform a high end radio and a crappy antenna system any day of the week.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Venomized

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My commo sergeants in the Army have always told me that the highest quality shortest cable with the fewest connections is the best way to go. Each connection adds resistance as does cable length.

Antennea (sp?) length is a factor as well.

2001 WJ, not much stuff

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE, fun toy
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antenna length is a factor...but it's electrical length, not physical length. A 4" wire wound, top loaded antenna has the same electrical length as a 9" whip. However the 4" antenna can (key word = can) outperform a whip since it concentrates it's broadcasting power in the top part of the antenna. The whip radiates equally along the entire surface.

Quote:
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...the radio means nothing. A $40 Radio Shack cheapo with a well planned and high quality coax/antenna system will outperform a high end radio and a crappy antenna system any day of the week.

X-2 ! Wink
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cheap Cobra radio that I had for years. Some quality “Trucker” coax (local CB shop that happens to be next to a truck stop) also I have three antenna's to choose from two fire sticks, One is 36" and the other is 48" and the third one is a 36" stainless whip.
I haven't tried to compare all of them with the SWR meter, so not sure witch is best.

My problem is mounting the radio cleanly, I've seen guys post pictures of there tuffy overhead box with the radios in them, but I was thinking of mounting it where the three switch blanks are above the lighter. But what’s behind them and will it have enough room length wise to fit?

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:

I haven't tried to compare all of them with the SWR meter, so not sure witch is best.

Typically, top loaded antennas work better than base loaded antennas (which is what your 3' SS whip sounds like to me). I would expect your 4' top loaded Firestik to outperform the others...simply by design. But there are trade offs, and your intended use will typically dictate which to use.

TJ Apex wrote:
My problem is mounting the radio cleanly, I've seen guys post pictures of there tuffy overhead box with the radios in them, but I was thinking of mounting it where the three switch blanks are above the lighter. But what’s behind them and will it have enough room length wise to fit?

Sounds like alot of work to me. Here's how I mounted my Uniden Pro510 in my TJ. Did basically the same thing in the wife's XJ, too. I can easily reach the knobs, so it' works out okay for me/us. Besides, I have switches where you are talking about locating the radio, and my ARB locker/compressor switches are directly below that. But I never considered mounting my radio there, and don't know how much stuff is back there with no switches installed.

Just another thought.

Wink
el_dubya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old but maybe I can get a reply. Do you have your radio mounted just to the plastic console type deal there or did you drill on into the body? I'm thinking about mounting mine there and didnt know if the plastic could support it. If im not mistaken, if you go through the body there you'll hit transmission wont you? Shocked Thanks.

'98 TJ SE
15x7 ProComp Series 51 Rock Crawler Wheels
31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_dubya wrote:
I know this thread is old but maybe I can get a reply. Do you have your radio mounted just to the plastic console type deal there or did you drill on into the body? I'm thinking about mounting mine there and didnt know if the plastic could support it. If im not mistaken, if you go through the body there you'll hit transmission wont you? Shocked Thanks.

Yep...the bracket (that's included with a new radio) is just bolted to the plastic console. It's only a Pro510, so it's not very heavy. Works great for me.

If you decide to put it there like I did, you'll want to make sure you fold the passenger seat forward and mark where that point is so you don't hit the radio after mounting. Piece of cake though after that.

Hope that helps.
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: