Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we talk snorkels for a minute?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightFire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikon wrote:
Can you throw down a little more information about this one.?. What "hack a tube" are you speaking of?

Has anyone simply cut out the airbox and just stuck on a cone filter? no heat shield or anything? just stick that SOB on there? Just curious if that did anything positive at all.

You just described the setup that I believe Bill 1st created and many followed, including me.

Here is a photo:

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the look of the snorkels and feel that I want one. As of now, I give up on trying to improve my mpg

My Morning Jacket
mission

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
hahaha

just an idea Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky one morning i was walking down the street and found one of the cone filters just laying there in the road.Then i got to looking at it and it looked like it would sit right on top my two barrel carb and wouldnt u no it fit right on top no clearance issues or anything but i do have a chevy smallblock under the hood neaner
mission

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha that's funny.

My brother found a K&N cone filter under some rice rocket at his college's parking lot. Gave the thing to me so i welded up a intake for it and dropped it in. Then I went mudding and destroyed the filter.

I guess some things are too good to be true.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for all the input. I am not strictly thinking of mpg straight out. I mean, if the engine is running smoother then i would think that the mpg gain would be there to but I am thinking just in terms of running it more efficiently. Like I said though, I think that the 2 go hand in hand. I also like to have a different setup than others and I like the stealthiness of the one going to the front cowel. I think that if I were going to do anything to the intake - it will probably be that one.

Quote:
One more ?? for now..... I took out the air restictor at the connector coming out of the box. I have heard rumors of there being another one.?. Where might this second one be?

Anyone think about this yet? talkin YJ here too - thanks Cool
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
Jeepfreak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know this might be a little late but I have a safari snorkel on my jeep and I love it. When you install it, it comes with all the routing to connect it to the factory air box. You do have to cut a new hole in the side of the airbox and plug up the front one but the kit comes with all of the materials needed to do that. After intsalling it I put a k&n filter in the factory air box. I did notice a slight gain in hp and in mpg. Also it kindof works like a ram air when you are going down the highway so you can't beat that. Another benefit is that you dont have to worry about splashing through a puddle and swamping the factory air box. I've heard this happen to people even on crossings that aren't very deep. If you want to see some pics of my setup I'll try to get some just let me know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: