Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bad news

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandjeeper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: bad news Reply with quote

shock
well i received a $215 ticket today for neglagent driveing, i rear ended some body. my stupid drums in the back locked up today (realy rainly cold nasty weather) when i wasnt even braking hard. i was so pissed. my jeep was fine. not even a stratch, but his car was a little worse off, not bad though, broke the bumber some what on his dodge neon.
but anywhys, i was wanderin if this happen to anybody else. i know that other ppls drums lock up, was wanderi bout anybody elses stories. just currious.
oh yeah, what really sucks is my budget is goin to be cut cuz my insurance is gonna freakin fly, so all my mods im gettin for xmas are gonna have to wait or be sold. good news for some one lookin for stuff maybe.
WJLTD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rear ended in my Jeep. It sucked for the girl that hit me, she was in some ricey Honda Civic, and my hitch went right through her bumper. Cracked it all the way across, plus a 4" by 4" square hole from the hitch itself. Not a single scratch on my car, not even any damage to the hitch. She knocked a taillight bulb loose, that was the extent of it.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/466307
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh its this crazy thing called friction. Brakes make alot of it, and when there is not an equal or greater amount between the tire and the road, well you found out what happens.

You also could have learned that in any basic intro level physics class, or maybe even in drivers ed.

I swear the smarter we make our cars the dumber people get.
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brakes get pretty touchy sometimes whens its wet or cold. i was leaveing work two nights ago and my brakes locked up under light pressure when i was just slowing down from a few miles an hour. If thats what happend to you that sucks, sometime things happen in the wrong place at the wrong time, like when I was light headed from having pnuemonia and not knowing it and i rearended a hyundai this summer.

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Ive really ever locked up a set of drum brakes. Ive had frozen drum brakes due to rust or simple neglect.

The rear of a TJ is not something to ever be played lightly with. In slick, wet conditions that things is a weapon and wll get somebody hurt.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brakes work fine thumbs

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
grandjeeper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo dozer what jeep you got. no disrespect or anything but, my jeep is 12 goin on 13 years old, anit nothing smart about my car, and i really dont have control over my realy crappy drum brakes, which are actualy brand new. i just put a new rear end in this summer. well rebuild, but drums and all the hard ware was brand new.
just saying that my brakes suck, not me. sry if i offend you ,not tryin to.
grandjeeper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am glad to see that its not jsut my jeep as well. but still makes me made. im probley goin to do the disk upgrade performed on this forum.
but it hasnt been above 50 here in South Carolina. i know that aint cold, but its cold enough to make this ole southern boy stay in side and keep me from workin on the jeep
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandjeeper wrote:
yo dozer what jeep you got. no disrespect or anything but, my jeep is 12 goin on 13 years old, anit nothing smart about my car, and i really dont have control over my realy crappy drum brakes, which are actualy brand new. i just put a new rear end in this summer. well rebuild, but drums and all the hard ware was brand new.
just saying that my brakes suck, not me. sry if i offend you ,not tryin to.

81 CJ7 90YJ and 99WJ

And I have never locked up or rear ended anyone in them.

And just so you know, disk brakes are much more likely to lock up in a rear application (on a 12 year old jeep) as they have a greater stopping power and less brake fade. there for by your logic that your drums suck, if you had disks they would only suck more...

have you checked your front to rear proportioning? If your fronts are not working rigth it would be more apt to lock up the rear.

and for what it is worth, I hate ABS systems, I like to be in control of my brakes, not some computer

Wink
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my rear drums grab easily from time to time..especially if i drove in rain or snow, i let it sit over nite go out the next morning and when i barely touch the pedal rear wheels lock up
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a little 2 inch lift on my zj and it may just be my imagination but my brakes feel a little less grabby. I need new brake pads anyway though. So far I have not had any problems with my brakes though.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
grandjeeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have disconnetd the abs, i dont like it either, but that aint why they lock up, like 1foxgo said, its only from time to time when there wet. and once you uses and get them warmed up, there fine. and i switch axles to a disc d35 and had no problem. to me they felt better, they had a little more controlablity. but im not an expert, that just what i felt. but i do know that my friend who has a 04 wrangle sport just put disk on his jeep, and he locks up alot easier now. i dont know why there is a differnce, ijsut know that the lock up almost disapered when i switch to disk on the other grand. it may be ther year differenace, i dont know.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was told that a small ring of rust or something forms from the break dust on the pads and thats why they grab...sounds plausible
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandjeeper wrote:
i have disconnetd the abs, i dont like it either, but that aint why they lock up, like 1foxgo said, its only from time to time when there wet. and once you uses and get them warmed up, there fine. and i switch axles to a disc d35 and had no problem. to me they felt better, they had a little more controlablity. but im not an expert, that just what i felt. but i do know that my friend who has a 04 wrangle sport just put disk on his jeep, and he locks up alot easier now. i dont know why there is a differnce, ijsut know that the lock up almost disapered when i switch to disk on the other grand. it may be ther year differenace, i dont know.

English Mother Trucker! Do you speak it??

I think you should hook your abs back up and let the computer worry about all the complicated things, like appling the brakes without locking them up.

Not to mention, if the person you rearended, or the police find out about that being disconnected you can be in a world of shit. Tampering with a safety device on a car is not taken lightly
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a pulp fiction quote I hear?
Oustanding!!!

It is a good idea to use your abs, I got cut off by a big white van one time while I was doing about 55mph (the speed limit on that road by the way). I think it saved me from wearing a full body cast.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: