Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: HOW DO YOU CHECK FOR POWER DRAIN? Reply with quote

I have a 4.0 litre 1999 Grand Cherokee with a voltage drain problem. It is standard spec and done 70,000 miles. The battery was replaced and the charging rate was checked and found to be ok at 13.5-14V. I can leave the car for 2 days and the battery will be flat! When i recharge the battery there is a noticable spark at battery post to terminal on connection. At this point the indicators flash, alarm maybe? I know there is a way of testing for a voltage drain with a volt or ohm meter and disconnecting components but i can not remember, anybody know how?

p.s. Why is there a extra position on the ignition switch? I can remove the ignition key in the last two positions, why is this? Thanks Delbert.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: battery Reply with quote

As for the extra key postition on the 1999, I wouldn't know because I have a ZJ. For your battery, since you haven't added any new electrical devices, radio, winch, lights, etc... you probably need to have your battery and cables checked out. You didn't say what kind it was. If it is the open kind try refilling it up with distilled water. If it is the closed kind then take it to your local autoparts store like NAPA or advance and they should check it for free. The next time you get any type of new battery that requires recharging, hook it up to a charger until it will take a full charge otherwise it may never reach its full capapcity. However, I went through a similar situation with my 1995 Blazer and it ended up being the battery cables...(but about a year after I got that fixed, the alternator went out on it) after I got new cables and hooked the battery up to a charger and fully charged it, I never had trouble with it again. As for checking for a drain with an ohm meter, I've never done that on a car or truck, but I have helped my dad with a John Deere. He would turn the accesories on, and hold the volt meter to various connections on the engine. There is another way to do it by holding the Volt Meter connections on the battery while you remove fuses to isolate the accessories in question. But a Jeep is much more complex than a tractor, and we never actually disconnected or removed any components off of the engine until we found the problem. Also, since you just replaced the battery, it should still be under warranty if that is where the problem lies.
I hope this helps.
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited W/242 swap
JKS disconnects & Garmin GPS
Heavy duty OME Suspension kit
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: