Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air intake systems

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you what I did. I went out and baught a K~N cone filter and used the stock tube, $60.00 for the filter that's it. Now that’s it's winter, I put the stock air box back on to keep the snow and water out and I have a K~N for it also, But the one I did was remove the stupid inlet snorkel off the front of the box to get a little more air.
Someone said PLACEBO to the removal of the air horn, But it can’t do anything but get more air to the engine, and it’s free!

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the locked thread in question. BTW it deserved to be locked as it was found to be a fraudulent attempt to sell product by some P.O.S cannuck....go figure.

Do a broad search for "air intake system" brings up 829 matchs.
Do a TJ forum for the search and it brings up 118 matchs
Only 1 locked.....go figure. Rolling Eyes

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apex, did u find any gains at all? dont want to give the impression i dont care about maintaining a clean engine or getting water, i do realize that the stock box and snorkel does a great job of keeping the crap out, but something that Apex discribes is sort of what i'm looking for. easy on and off for when i want to play.
how did you know that the cone filter would fit at the end of the stock intake?
whatwasithinkin, thats funny, a good one, and i go and find it!!
i'm not sure the thread incriminates the guy as a salesman for the thing, if he is he's a shitty one, and the site and product he discribes, theres really no info, i'm not sure why anyone would buy that stuff, theres not even any stats
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I did was measure the outside diameter of the stock tube witch is 2 3/4 (2.750) and went to Pep Boys and they just happened to have the right size cone filter. The filter came with a provision for a bolt hole at the small end of the cone. I fabbed up a small L shaped bracket and used an existing hole from the stock filter box in the fender well and mounted it. The cone slipped right over the tube and I used the same hose clamp.

I probably gained a little, But not much. I do go up a 10% grade everyday and it doesn’t seem to labor as much. The other thing is when the engine is cold, you can hear the air being sucked in, but only for a min. or so, also when you accelerate quickly the engine sounds pretty mean.
I'm glad I didn't spend the $250. for the whole K~N setup when I basically got the same thing for less than $70.00.

I'd post a pic, but I'm not sure how to do that yet. I can E-mail it to you though.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well IF someone wants to make a real inexpensive open breather using a K&N or like filter, It can be done without any special parts.

Im sorry I dont have the pics anymore, but I still have the parts and will get pics of them up later.

Pick up a PVC 2x3 coupling from the hardware store. And find a K&N filter #E-1796. This is a very common filter at any of the big box parts stores. It fits almost all chevy and GMC trucks from 96-00.

Using a dremel or like, grind the stop shoulder off thats inside the PVC coupler. IF you measure the inside of the 2" end you will find that its almost identical to the TB on the I6. Remove the shoulder removes the restriction inside.

Now remove the OEM air box. Leave the air tube and flex adapter on the engine. The 2" side of the couple fits into the flex elbow perfectly. The 3" side fits into the K&N E-1796 perfectly also.

Now this is where I got a little lazy. I was going to fab up some brackets to hold the filter securely, but after not finding anything suitable at home, I just used 2 36" plastic tie wraps that I use at work. I secured the filter to the grill support bar.

So for @ $50 you can have a simple open breather set up. The chevy filter is massive and gives @ 2x the filter surface than any other expensive over the counter aftermarket will have.

This filter is @ 12" long and 6" in diameter.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Gerg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot topic...

K&N filter do flow more air. They also pass more dirt. A Stock TJ is NOT starved for air, PERIOD. That said, you CAN pass more air AND feel more power by just removing the filter all together.

Documentation to support the more dirt here

Greg
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the k&n flows more dirt then why are you recomending not running a filter at all?

or did i miss something?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
if the k&n flows more dirt then why are you recomending not running a filter at all?

or did i miss something?

You're missing something...it's called sarcasm.
quadna71

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too fell into the trap of fabbing up an open-air filter setup on my tj. i sawed off half of the straight section of the intake tube, picked up a PVC adapter from lowes, and clamped on a conical K&N filter. it sounded different - but i didn't notice pretty much any sort of improvement. granted, that's just my personal experience. then one day i saw a video of my jeep coming up a water-covered road. at two different points the water was flowing freely over my hood - and by the end of the week i had a stock airbox back in place under my hood. i've read both sides of the story in regards to the filtration of paper elements vs. oil soaked cotton and don't really want to go into the semantics of that. but from a purely off-road standpoint the OEM design can't be beat. i do have pics of my fabbed up design if you'd like to see them.
chris (heard that the wheel was invented already..no reason to try and do it again Wink)
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the way mine came out. I didn't have to cut anything, everything is still there. as a matter of fact I re-installed the box for the winter for obvious reasons.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Jeep, I baught it because it‘s the only no-compromise 4X4 vehicle made today. If you point your finger at a mountain peak and say ”I want to go there” a Jeep will get you there, no question. But, face it, the Jeep engine needs help in horsepower and torque department.
At least some of us are trying to do something about it.

[/img]

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good Apex,
It's exactly the kind of set up i'm looking for, easy , cheap, and easy to go back to stock when i want.
caJeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex,

I hate to rehash an old post, but do you have the K&N Filter number for that one. I like the idea of being able to switch back and forth, and since I tend to learn the hard way, I am going to have to try this myself.

caJeeper
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem...Your talkin' about the open cone right?
The P/N on the filter is F030L6 and cost about $60...if I remember right.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
caJeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I can't find it in their online catalog or anywhere else currently. I suppose it could have been discontinued or the part number changed in the last 6 months. The closest I have been able to find is the RU4960 but I don't think that is quite it.

caJeeper
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the box that the filter came in anymore, but that is the only number listed on the filter. I'd think K&N would have a cross referance/ revised P/N listing somewhere on the net.

I know I listed the tube inner diameter in an earler post and maybe you could go off that, but I'll have a look around the net to see if I may be able to find it and let you know.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: